Author Topic: Army records.  (Read 3642 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army records.
« on: Thursday 05 January 06 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I would like to get copies of the army records of my grandfathers, (WW2)
And my great grandfather (WW1)

How and where can I do this?
I know both my grandfather and great grandfathers army number, but my other grandfather (Mum's father) we do not know his number.

Can anyone help me so I can get copies of the army records?
Thank you.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army records.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 06 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,

Try this link to find your Great Grandfather's WWI medal card:

WWI Medal Cards

Military service records from WWI are held at the National Archives at Kew but unfortuanately about 70% of them were destroyed by fire during WWII.

Have a look around the National Archives site (www.nationalarchives.gov.uk) - I'm not sure what's there for WWII.

Regards,

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 06 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Al,
I have copied my great grandfathers medal card.
But I would like to copy his army records, I read on here somewhere, that someone had sent off for copies of their fathers army records.

I will try and contact Kew.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline pwenlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 06 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy

For the WW2 records, try contacting:

Army Personnel Centre
Historic Disclosures
Mailpoint 400
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow
G2 8EX

The Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow handles enquiries about soldiers who were discharged from the Army after 1919. A fee is charged (about £25) for each search, even if no material is discovered. A special form has to be completed prior to the search. It is essential that you quote the Regiment and personal number of the soldier concerned.

Yours aye
Paul
 ;D
Searching for WENLOCK, DEAKIN, MATTHEWS, CHEW & CHURM.

Researcher of Boer War & WW1 history of the Royal Berkshire Regiment, Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) & Berkshire Yeomanry.

Trustee of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust http://sites.google.com/site/oxfordshireyeomanry
Soldiers of Oxfordshire http://www.sofo.org.uk
& The Berkshire Yeomanry Museum Trust

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 06 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the info.  ;)
Can you visit the Army personal centre in Glasgow?
As I am visiting Duntocher and Glasgow in April/May.
My great grandfather was from Duntocher.
Regards

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 06 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pettsy

Can you visit the Army personal centre in Glasgow?
Don't think anyone has asked that before, and certainly I don't know the answer - so if you find out don't forget to let us know. 
All contact info is on the web site at

http://www.mod.uk/contacts/army_records.htm

You could call them and ask, but as I understand it if you write and pays your dosh it can take quite along time for them to send the info, 6 to 8 weeks, but hey, at least once you have it.  You have it.

All best wishes
Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline pwenlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 06 08:16 GMT (UK) »
I believe they only deal with postal enquiries. They are the Army's "Postings & Career Management" branch rather than just an archive.

Yours aye
Paul
Searching for WENLOCK, DEAKIN, MATTHEWS, CHEW & CHURM.

Researcher of Boer War & WW1 history of the Royal Berkshire Regiment, Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) & Berkshire Yeomanry.

Trustee of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust http://sites.google.com/site/oxfordshireyeomanry
Soldiers of Oxfordshire http://www.sofo.org.uk
& The Berkshire Yeomanry Museum Trust

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 06 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Re Historic Disclosures, enquiries by post only. 
The form used to say that it was 'essential' that you quoted Regt on discharge and the personel number..........however I do know that they were indexing records by name, if I remember correctly they had planned to be finished indexing in 2005 so that may no longer be necessary.  They were very helpful to me when I enquired about some records and I received them within the 6 months quoted, admittedly my chap had a rather unusual combination of christian names.

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 January 06 10:49 GMT (UK) »

but as I understand it if you write and pays your dosh it can take quite along time for them to send the info, 6 to 8 weeks, but hey, at least once you have it.  You have it.

All best wishes
Wendi

6-8 weeks seems a little optimistic, on my last request i was told 6 months and it turned out to be closer to a year  :(