Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 864 times)

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
What is it?
« on: Thursday 05 January 06 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Found in the attic, this portrait.
No idea who the subject is. It's 24" by 18", in a frame, mounted in a  oval matt.
It looks like a charcoal type drawing at first glance, but there are no pencil or brush marks. So it's a print of some description?
It's on heavy brown card backing faced with white paper. Scrawled roughly on the back a series of numbers in pencil.

So does anyone have any idea of when it would have been taken, or the type of picture?
regards
kmo

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 06 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kmo

I think this is a Chromos or Crayon portrait, popular between 1860 and 1900. If you look at this posting (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,68650.0.html), I think you'll see the similarities.

Glen

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: What is it?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 06 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi kmo,
kizmiaz is right, it's a portrait drawn over the top of a photograph.
The photograph itself is probably either an albumen print or a silver gelatin print (depending on the date of the photo).  I'm not sure exactly what medium they used to do the drawings - I suspect it was a combination of things like chalks/pastels, watercolours, and gouache.  I've restored a couple and have used ground-up conte crayons mixed with a little water, which seem to give the right consistency.
The numbers on the back probably refer to  framing instructions - generally they include things like the frame moulding to be used, how big it's to be, etc. etc.
Not sure what date this one is - someone will need to date the clothes and I'm not much cop at that!

Prue