Author Topic: HEMMINGS Family - Northampton  (Read 31955 times)

Offline Stevepenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HEMMINGS Family - Northampton
« Reply #54 on: Monday 13 March 17 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi rthom:

My Grandad was George Smith Hemmings and his father was Smith Hemmings (Both were as you may know -old time scrap/rag and bone men in the Green Area of Northampton) -I have a photo of Smith Hemmings with his cart/cart horse with my Grandad as a young boy--I also have a photo of Old Smith Hemmings at my Grandfathers Wedding. I do remember the "Green" at Peters Way and my Grandfather had one of his old yards at King Street next to the "Kings Arms"--which was i believe was adjacent to the Garden Of Rest -where the Saxon Hotel was then built. My Grandad died on Saturday17th March 1973--I remember it well!!  Anyway...... Steve.

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve:

Welcome to the forum. And thanks for the post.  As I noted on the previous page of this thread, I have not been able to find any link between your Smith Hemmings line and my family line.  I will be sure to let you know if I do come across anything.

Best regards, rthom
Surname interests: Acfield (Ackfield, Hackfield) - SFK, LON / Adams - BDF / Askham - NHT / Baldrey - SFK / Charlwood - LON / Hall - NFK, ESS, LND / Hemmings (Hemings, Heming) - WAR, OXF, NHT, LON / Hibbert - BRK / Ivey - LON / James - OXF / Manning - NHT / Mason - NHT / Pearson - WAR, NHT / Pizzy - SFK / Polly (Polley) - OXF / Rivers - SFK / Sargeant - WAR, SRY, LON, USA / Simons (Simonds) - BDF / Taylor - NHT / Wiggins - OXF

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline dean6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 05 November 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve
We have only just found your message on the forum. From our records my wife's Grandad John Hemmings was Smith Hemmings brother. We do not know much about the family as my wife's father Leonard William Hemmings moved to Corby after WW2. We have only one photograph of John and none of the rest of his family. My wife's Grandfather John Hemmings married twice. His first wife was Mary Gertrude Smith and his second wife's name was Kate Pinfold. My Wife's father (Len) was born to John Hemmings and Kate Pinfold.
We have other information on the Hemmings family tree that we can share with you as we are sure that this is the same family tree as yours.
Regards
Dean
Hemmings,Pinfold/Northamptonshire  -  Haylett,Pocklington - Cambridgshire

Offline dean6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Researching our Northampton family tree.
George Smith Hemmings was the cousin of my wife, Linda's father. My wife's Father was Leonard William Hemmings his father was John Hemmings the brother of Smith Hemmings. We know very little of John's siblings. Len moved away from Northampton just after WW2 to settle in Corby. We have no photographs of any family members. The previous post from Steve Penny looks like a certain link and would love to share any information.
Regards
Dean and Linda
Hemmings,Pinfold/Northamptonshire  -  Haylett,Pocklington - Cambridgshire