Author Topic: HEMMINGS Family - Northampton  (Read 31951 times)

Offline Gardie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HEMMINGS Family - Northampton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am the Great Grandson of Walter George Hemmings. My family have quite a bit of Hemmings family paperwork. I am just starting work on the family tree. I may be bothering you for assistance!

Tim

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 August 09 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim:

You have made my day! I have been waiting for a descendant of Thomas & Sarah to find me for a long time. Personal message to follow.  :) :) :)

Regards, rthom
Surname interests: Acfield (Ackfield, Hackfield) - SFK, LON / Adams - BDF / Askham - NHT / Baldrey - SFK / Charlwood - LON / Hall - NFK, ESS, LND / Hemmings (Hemings, Heming) - WAR, OXF, NHT, LON / Hibbert - BRK / Ivey - LON / James - OXF / Manning - NHT / Mason - NHT / Pearson - WAR, NHT / Pizzy - SFK / Polly (Polley) - OXF / Rivers - SFK / Sargeant - WAR, SRY, LON, USA / Simons (Simonds) - BDF / Taylor - NHT / Wiggins - OXF

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Jellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Our little charmer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 August 09 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello rthom

My late aunt's mother in law was Naomi HEMMINGS born Northampton in 1885, daughter of John HEMMINGS and Martha.  Naomi had 3 known siblings; Charlotte, Smith and Walter.

I knew Naomi as 'Mrs Harris' and Charlotte as 'Aunt Charlotte' as she lived next door to Naomi in Gladstone Road Northampton.  I think they both died in the early 1970's or late '60's.

Regards Janet

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 August 09 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Janet:

Thanks for contributing your info. I am aware of this family group in Northampton, but I am afraid to say that I have not been able to positively tie it in with my line. My guess is that the connection, if it exists, is several generations earlier than the family discussed in this thread -- most likely in one of the earlier cousin branches (of which there are many). This has frustrated me for some time.

I am sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully another researcher will see your info and will be able to connect the dots.

Regards, rthom
Surname interests: Acfield (Ackfield, Hackfield) - SFK, LON / Adams - BDF / Askham - NHT / Baldrey - SFK / Charlwood - LON / Hall - NFK, ESS, LND / Hemmings (Hemings, Heming) - WAR, OXF, NHT, LON / Hibbert - BRK / Ivey - LON / James - OXF / Manning - NHT / Mason - NHT / Pearson - WAR, NHT / Pizzy - SFK / Polly (Polley) - OXF / Rivers - SFK / Sargeant - WAR, SRY, LON, USA / Simons (Simonds) - BDF / Taylor - NHT / Wiggins - OXF

Offline Jellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Our little charmer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 August 09 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hello rthom

My connection with the HEMMINGS family is rather tenuous so I haven't spent much time on them.  The name popped up in your message, though, and it made me think of Naomi and Charlotte.  They were two cantankerous old dears (I hope their grandchildren aren't reading this) and I found them rather scary when I was a child!   ;D

I might have another look at this family and see if I can connect them with the Baker's lot.  I'll let you know if I do.

Regards Janet

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 August 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet/rthom

I think they both died in the early 1970's or late '60's.

Janet do you need a look up for those death's.  ;D

It would be great if you could find a connection with rthom,
or other Hemmings.

P.S. when next in the Library could you ask if anything has been
left for me, as you will more than likely visit before me. T.I.A.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Jellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Our little charmer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 August 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy

Thanks for the offer.  I'll see if I can tie the family in with rthom's first.  As they aren't my 'blood' relatives I haven't gone too deeply into their history.

I'll ask at the library when I go in next week.

Bye for now

Janet :D

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 August 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks "Duckie".  :)

Much appreciated.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 August 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy & Janet:

Sandy: Thanks again for jumping in. I've been off the board for a while and was pleased to see this old thread come alive again.

Janet: I have collected a lot of info on two lines of Hemmings in Northants: One descended from a family group living in Sulgrave (my line) who ended up in Northampton; and the second from a family group in Moreton Pinkney and Eydon. Going back a few more generations, these two lines merge into an earlier group living in Cropredy, Great Bourton, and Mollington.

My hunch is that the John Hemmings you are referring to is descended from the Moreton Pinkney/Eydon group. Failing that, he could descend from another line of Hemmings that moved to Northampton. The name is relatively common in the West Midlands.

Please feel free to contact me if you come up with any other leads.

Regards, rthom