Author Topic: Palmer/Ayres Marriage Query  (Read 8813 times)

Offline mooncrystal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Palmer/Ayres Marriage Query
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 January 06 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freeman,

I've checked the 1851 census and John Palmer is actually 51 years old, the census writer didn't take his pen completely off the page and it does look like 57.  on 2nd March 1854 John Palmer was buried at Ramsey parish church, aged 54.  Mary Palmer was buried 23 may 1854 age 40 at Ramsey church.  Ruth

Offline Freeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 January 06 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freeman

no problem - seeing the 1841 details I suspect their marriage is 1833 or before, so prior to GRO indexing which started in 1837. There is nothing on the IGI for the family. Best chance is looking at parish records. But as 1st child Frances is not born in county (of Hunts) it could well be in Peterborough. 

Try posting on Northants board.

regards John

Many thanks John
Will try Northants, but see message from Sandy (seahall)
regards
Freeman
Blundell,Clark,Garbutt,Handley,Hills,Horlor,McFarlane,Palmer,Parrett,Pass,Saker,Sanderson,Stacey,Willmott

Offline Freeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 January 06 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freeman/David

There is no mention of your ancestors on Alan Clarke/Marilyn Ponting's marriage index for Northants.  :(

Cheers Sandy

Dear Sandy,

Hi,

Thanks for above. I am not familiar with above index. Is it a virtual complete index ? If so then there appears to be no Palmer/Ayres marriage in either Hunts or Northants.
Possible of course it was never registered or was in neighbouring county.
Regards
Freeman
Blundell,Clark,Garbutt,Handley,Hills,Horlor,McFarlane,Palmer,Parrett,Pass,Saker,Sanderson,Stacey,Willmott

Offline Freeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 06 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freeman,

Mary Palmer born 15 nov 1839, baptised 18 Dec 1839, daug of John and Mary, Ramsey.
There were 2 John and Mary Palmers living in Ramsey around the same time although by 1841 one Mary Palmer had died.  Susanna Palmer born 26 jan 1837, bapt 19 Feb 1837 married William Edgley in 1853 making them my gt gt grandparents, Ruth

Dear Ruth,

Many thanks for your info.
The death of one of the Mary Palmers gives me confidence that your 1841 Census entry Ho 107/ 448/14 is the John and Mary I am seeking.
Please advise your sources for the births of Mary and Susanna, John and Mary's burials and Susanna's marriage.
As John b. April 1844 is my gx2 grandfather it looks as if we are 3rd cousins !!!
From the helpful correspondence on John and Mary's missing marriage do you have any views yourself on where we should look?
Kind regards
Freeman

Offline mooncrystal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 January 06 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freeman,

I have the Ramsey parish records on microfiche and the details come from the baptism, marriage and burial records on them.  Since both the bride and groom seem to come from Peterborough I would say that that would be the best place to look for a marriage, Ruth

Offline mooncrystal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 January 06 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked the 1861 census and Mary Palmer is living with her daughter Lavinia so it must have been a different Mary Palmer who died in 1854.  There was a Mary Palmer born to John and Ann in 1814 it might be her if she never married, Ruth

Offline Freeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Many thanks for confirming your info source. I was hoping Ramsey records was the answer.

Freeman

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freeman  :)

If you type in Google Alan Clarke it should take you to his web pages and on them it lists coverage of the Marriage Indexes that he and Marilyn Ponting have transcribed for Northamptonshire.

Plus also endless help for Northamptonshire Folk from Northamptonshire Folk and others.

As the Northamptonshire Look up Exchange web page seem to be missing at the moment Alan's site is a must for all us Family Historians.  :)

Cheers Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Freeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sandy,

Thanks for the tip - will follow it up.

Regards
Freeman