Author Topic: PAPPLEWICK MILLS on the River Leen  (Read 15435 times)

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
Re: PAPPLEWICK MILLS on the River Leen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information, Julie. Might be worth a trip out that way one of these years then with my trusty digital camera..Now if only walls could speak, I might find out where my 3xG grandfather came from  :) :) :)
                                   all the best
                                                     Jane

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I take it your not local then? (to Papplewick) I might have some photos somewhere lurkin about, I know that in the 1970's Children from the school(I used to got to) went to the mill, to do restoration work on the waterwheel, My sister was one of em..lol (Iwas a bit young) about 4 lol.

I'll have a hunt around :)
if i can find any pix, i'll post em on here, if thats ok?

Julie

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 16:12 GMT (UK) »
That would be fabulous, Julie, when you have a moment that is! Don't want to take you away from your own research.
No I am not quite local,  being a ways south east of Notts, you have to go on, till you get to the channel, go on across Europe till you get to the Bosphorus, go across the bridge and you are more or less there... ;D ;D ;D ;D
       I do get to the UK once a year or so, and I have friends in Nottingham, so I have been to the Archives there once... Great folk
                    Love to Robin Hood
                                    Jane

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 16:25 GMT (UK) »
OOOOOOO LOL,

you tend to forget theres a big wide world out there...... lol, well, I live about 5mins from there (by car) If I cant find any photos i'll go and ask if i can take some :P

The Dam has been filled in now, has been since the 1960's i think, there was a book, dont know if you can still get it, but i know the library has a copy, (as we have had it out on loan) gimme min and i'll see if i can find the title.....

here we are I think this is the one.. 'leen valley at work' By Martin Weiss
you might also like to try this site, it is the local paper 'dispatch' you might be able to post a request in it???

http://www.hucknalltoday.co.uk/

hope this helps

Julie

ps... have a look here :)   look at the photos on the left............
 http://www.knittingtogether.org.uk/doc.asp?doc=7356&cat=738

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow! So there they are! You know I have been on that web-site yet I never came across those photo's. Thanks so much for pointing them out, and thanks for the book title, also the newspaper link.
   You know I am not 100% sure my rellies (who were naturally,  beamed down by aliens) worked there but it seems very likely, either they were that or framework knitters.. I just went hopefully with the mills, thinking it would be easier to get a lead, records or something, from a big concern. Plus  as they went walkabout (beamed back up for readjustment??) between 1789 and 1801, they may have set off on one of the factory wagons heading for Lancashire, though of course they left no traces before they materialise for good in Carlisle....
       Whatever the case, it's all interesting
                       thank you again
                                   Jane

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Jane
Not a problem really... it all helps in tracking them down, (eventually) know the feeling about the aliens though lol.... been there, still there lol.. hence my lack of enthusiasum(sp) with MY lot...lolololol

IF he did work at the mill perhaps he was living locally? linby perhaps? might be worthwhile having look at the p/rs if any children born there, am not 100% on pre registration stuff, as i'm only just delving into that sorta stuff, but perhaps if there were any wills left that might help???

I know some of My rellies came from Papplewick (Samuel Shelton and married a Elizabeth MOORE) but they got married in 1813 @ Papplewick, thats all i know (this is one of my direct lines) so would be nice to get somewhere with it.. but thats another story

Good luck

Julie

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
           This guy named Henry Angus married at Bulwell, as per the PRs for 1785, but no sign of any other Anguses in the area, of any generation, hence the beaming down bit!  ;D They had three kids, all in the Bulwell PRs bar one who features in the BTs only and is never heard of again. Stayed in the mothership, I guess.
          The rest of the family pop up in a calico print factory in Carlisle, where they have more kids, well in their humble cot, not on the shop floor,  ;D and the rest of the story is pretty simple!
        No sign of wills till much later on when they have a couple of farthings to rub together.
          They do it on purpose I'm sure, still I have got my revenge by moving out here! No one will find me when they look in the year 2200!
                Thanks so much for the discussion, and here's hoping someone will come along soon with the answers to our respective dilemmas.
                                      Jane

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 17:53 GMT (UK) »
That'd be

Isaac
Ann
Arabella

then, just found them on the BIVRI index

:)

Offline Darksecretz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 18:03 GMT (UK) »
justa thought,

have you seen the samuel oldham, in bulwell 1851 cens? could this be a brother to elisabeth?
i suspect you have seen this, but was just wondering

Julie