Author Topic: Anthy Greatorex 1793 (Completed with Thanks)  (Read 8865 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Anthy Greatorex 1793 (Completed with Thanks)
« on: Saturday 07 January 06 19:54 GMT (UK) »
After having waited patiently for four years,for someone to tell me they have Greatorex from Stafford on their tree. I have given up waiting.Most people i contact have The name, various spelling, but in Derby or someplace else.I was contacted a week ago by yet another person researching the name.Again in another county.I only went up as far as 1780 the year i was given for Anthony Greatorex born about 1780.I never found him (in Stafford),So i have now done a search on the I.G.I where all my Greatorex are mentioned, to find out if Anthony (who lived In Stafford) was born there.I decided to search 1790 five years each side. I came up with a Christening date of 1793 in Bonsall Derby. Parents Anthony Greatorex and Martha Wigley.I don't want to get my hops up,but those name are receptive in my family. I had thought that at some time my Greatorex flew the nest and landed in Stafford 1800 maybe?. I have just had the three I.G.I Pages out.That i had printed out a few years ago. Greatorex /rix/Traks/ and all the others have been there since 1609 :o:o So anyone reasearching Greatorex In Derbyshire ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anthy Greatorex 1793
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 06 21:15 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census gives Anthony Greatorex born Bonsall circa 1794 living in Bonsall. However it also gives this Anthony Greatorex living in Staffordshire - the only one in Staffordshire, but not unfortunately in Stafford.

HO107 2024 folio 196
Woodlands Wood Lane Handsworth  Staffordshire   
Anthony Greatorex 60  Bentley, Derbyshire,  Head  Widower Farmer of 60 acres employing 1 labourer
William Greatorex 34  Handsworth, Staffordshire, Son Farmer's son
Catherine Greatorex 28  Handsworth, Staffordshire, Daughter  Farmer's daughter
George Greatorex 22  Handsworth, Staffordshire, Son  Farmer's son

The only Greatorex I can find in Stafford was
William Greatrex 70  Brook End, Staffordshire,  Lodger unmarried - a labourer

There are other examples of C18th born Staffordshire Greatorexes on the 1851 census living in the county of Staffordshire.

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 06 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valda
Thank you this is my family. I have William  my G.G.Grandfather on the 61,71,& 81 census. One in Kings Norton and two in Cannock. So I got lucky and found the right one first time. Anthony was my G.G.G.Grandfather, but its the first time i have him written down. William was running the farm by 1861. and his son Wilfred my G.Granddad was born on the farm which was called Long Bridge. So it looks like Anthony was the one that moved. Anthony's dads name is Anthony as well ::) hope i run out of them soon ;D Anthony must have died between 51 and 61. So thank you valder thats another twig on my tree after all this time.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 06 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I would think Bentley Derbyshire is Fenny Bentley. Coverage on the IGI I believe is only from 1811-1856 but an earlier period is covered on the BVRI.

GREATOREX, Anthony Christening
Birth Date:15 Apr 1787 Christening Date: 29 Apr 1787   
Father:   William GREATOREX
Mother:   Hannah

Other children of William and Hannah were

GREATOREX, Martha   
Christening Date:18 Feb 1779

GREATOREX, Elisabeth   
Christening Date:5 Jun 1781

GREATOREX, Margaret   
Birth Date:11 Jul 1784   
Christening Date:11 Jul 1784   

GREATOREX, Mary   
Birth Date:20 Jan 1789
Christening Date:1 Feb 1789

GREATOREX, John   
Birth Date:5 Jun 1791   
Christening Date:12 Jun 1791

GREATOREX, Hannah
Birth Date:13 May 1793   
Christening Date:28 Oct 1793

GREATOREX, Judith   
Birth Date:9 Dec 1795   
Christening Date:22 Feb 1796

GREATOREX, William
Birth Date:5 Jun 1798   
Christening Date:22 Oct 1798

GRETOREX, Ann   
Christening Date:8 Dec 1800

There are 56 Greatorex baptisms for Fenny Bentley on the BVRI between 1755-1812. Marriages are covered 1608-1890. The first Greatorex marriage in the parish is in 1663. No marriage though for William and Hannah.
The 1851 census has 17 Greatorex with a birthplace of Bentley, Anthony being the oldest. As he was a farmer of some standing I would check whether he left a will (Lichfield Record Office?) and with Derbyshire Record Office re Greatorex wills from Fenny Bentley. It looks like it would be very profitable to go through the parish registers of Fenny Bentley for Greatorex entries. There is no coverage for burials on the NBI for the parish. However there is a website with some memorial inscriptions which also has a photograph of the church.

http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/DBY/FennyBentley/MIs.html

Regards

Valda

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 06 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Wow Valda                                                                         Thank you for this surprise information, I now have Anthony's Parents fantastic ,and his names William, thank goodness. ; I am hoping i am on top of this now. Anthony born 1887. Married Deborah Philips 12th March 1812. Thats when the Greatorex entered my tree. Lots more sorting to do.
I don't understand the first  names on the first  page i was sent  by the man in Canada. some years ago,himself a Greatorex. it says
Decendants of Darby-33723
1.Darby-33723
Sp. UNKNOWN
2. Daniel Darby 1584
Sp: Martha Postan-33828 (m.2nd june 1729)
3. Martha Darby-12600 (B.21ST Aug 1756-OLD MTG house Dudley
Sp; Samuel Philips 4284 (m. 7th Feb 1780)

then thats when Anthony and Deborah philips come in.
Do you understand it.?

Celia P.S thanks for the M.I  site looks interesting
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 06 17:51 GMT (UK) »
I can only do the same as you can do - relate them to dates taken from the IGI which is presumably where they came from in the first place.
e.g.

MARTHA DARBY 
Christening:  21 AUG 1756   Old Mtg House-Nc, Dudley, Worcestershire
DANIEL DARBY 
SARAH 

SAMUEL PHILLIPS 
MARTHA DARBY 
Marriage:  07 FEB 1780   Halesowen, Worcestershire

I don't doubt the events are in the named registers but whether the Martha Darby who was baptised in Dudley in 1756 was the same Martha Darby who married in Halesowen couldn't be proved from just this list. All that can be said is these parish registers unlike others are on the IGI and so these 'events' are on the IGI. I think Handsworth Staffordshire in comparison has limited coverage only 1805-1865.

The connection presumably is this baptism

DEBORAH PHILIPS 
Birth:  09 SEP 1785   
Christening:  17 SEP 1785   Presbyterian Church, Oldbury By Halesowen, Shropshire?
SAMUEL PHILIPS 
Mother:  MARTHA 

Whether this Deborah baptised in Halesowen, a non-conformist, is the same Deborah who married in Handsworth (bearing in mind she could be local to Handsworth - no coverage on the IGI and Phillips is a common surname). I would first want to know Deborah Greatorex's age at burial/death, as this Deborah Phillips from Halesowen would have been 27 if she married in 1812, making her around 43 at the time of Judith Ann's birth.

Phillips is a very common surname and I am not saying this will has any connection to your Phillips family. Far fewer people wrote wills and when they did the wills would be more likely to have been proven locally and therefore for Handsworth would be in Lichfield Record Office. This is a PCC will

Description Will of Margaret Phillips, Widow of Handsworth , Staffordshire
Date 20 May 1830
Catalogue reference PROB 11/1771 

It just to proves you will find people with the surname Phillips almost anywhere.

Regards

Valda

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 06 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Valder
I think i will stay on track with the male Greatorex. I don't usually do the female side anyway.Unless i have all female children. Or i run out of males ;D I had needed to go up further to find out when the Greatorex entered Staffordshire. With your help i might be able to,in time connect with other researchers.

Best wishes
Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 06 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia,
This site may be of assistance:-
www.wirksworth.org.uk

Do take a look at the Ince's Pedigree listed, there is also census info 1841  for Bonsall,
and much much more.

My lot married into the Greatorex Family, but mainly Shottle/Idridgehay area of Derbyshire.
They have driven me mad!
Spendlove.

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 February 06 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi spendlove
re you post on the 15 January. since i started this topic i have had a lot more information on my greatorex.I was determined to re-start the reseach on this family even though i already had pages of information. I never found anyone with Greatorex in or around Stafordshire.So i have been working like a beaver the last 3 months and have found that with the connection to Derbyshire through my G.G.G.Grandfather Anthony Greatorex who was christened there.He may have been the first Greatorex to arrive in Staffordshire. I have also only a few days ago found a connection to derby on the  ancestry B.M.D. My G.grandmother Died in derby in 1837?, I also found a Martha Greatorex marriage in derby in 1843. So now i can Hopfully join the Derbyshire Que and make a connection. Still have a lot to do though :)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials