Author Topic: 1947 floods crowland  (Read 6097 times)

Offline cricket2

• :
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal Organiser
    • View Profile
1947 floods crowland
« on: Sunday 08 January 06 19:09 GMT (UK) »
looking for any information the 1947 floods in crowland lincolnshire the river burst its banks and theyput a tank there to hold back the water  anybody with information on were to look for info or any other help please let me know
           john
LIMMING/KEMMERY/MOXON/HEWSON LINCOLNSHIRE/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE/CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1947 floods crowland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 06 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
I was living in Spalding age 7 and remember the floods that year. We lived near the River Welland and our back street was awash, also water came up in our cellar to the top step. I believe the bank broke between the Cowbit and Crowland washes and farmland and they put in several old WW1 tank bodies without the gun turrets and then sandbags etc to fill the gap. There is a large pond still on Crowland side of the bank where the water flooding through washed out a large hole. Newspaper reports with photo's are on film and can be viewed at our local library in Victoria Street, Spalding.
Regards
Keith

Offline Crowlandfloods

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 July 19 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there John I'm Daniel Abbott chairman of the Crowland Buffalo LVT Association our aim is to get as much information about the 1947 floods and the whereabouts of the Buffalo's if you would like to get in contact

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 July 19 16:40 BST (UK) »
I lived in Boston, but most of my family lived in Cambridge. I went aged 7 with my grandmother from Boston to Cambridge by rail, route Spalding, March, Ely. I well remember that once we were through Spalding and beyond Ely all the way the railway made a slow journey with many stops through what seemed to be a causeway through the sea.

On reflection, with at least two bad floods caused by weather events at sea since, and global warming "we ain't seen nothing yet" I think Lincolnshire STandard newspapers might be helpful.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)