Author Topic: Project Info: Earthenware Dealers and hawkers of pots  (Read 25987 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Project Info: Earthenware Dealers and hawkers of pots
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
My Great x 2 Grandparents were James and Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick.  They sold earthenware and made besoms and baskets in Northumberland.  They became infamous in 1855 when they were charged along with a family of Andersons/Allen with the murder of their landlady called Dorothy Bewick in a case which came to be known as the 'Matfen Murder.'  They were all acquitted at their trial in 1856. In 1841 there is a nine year old Jane Anderson with the family which would go on to be held for trial with my own ancestors.  This family was made up of  Isabella Anderson known as Tibby, Michael Allen, Jane Anderson and Ellen/Eleanor Anderson.  They were hawkers.

James and Elizabeth's youngest son Thomas married Isabella Miller who was the daughter of Jacob and Jane Miller nee Anderson.  The latter was the daughter of Alexander and Isabella Anderson.  (Morpeth area). 

My ancestor James' had a sister called Ann who married an Adam Drummond.  They had a daughter Mary.  I don't know what became of Ann and family after that.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Interested to see that this post is still going, my post 12,  regarding the  Whitehouse family Warwick.
Unable to add any more information Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 26 April 18 06:53 BST (UK) »
I just came across this post yesterday.

Incidentally, the Grandparents of Jacob Miller who married Jane Anderson were William Miller and Jane Steward.

Coincidentally, Jacob and Jane went on to have a Grandson called William Miller who married a Jane Steward in North Shields in 1913.  This son was born to their son Michael Miller who married Elizabeth Watson who was the daughter of William Watson and Mary Conroy.  Mary was the daughter of my Great x 2 Grandparents James and Elizabeth.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Jack gray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
My Great x 2 Grandparents were James and Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick.  They sold earthenware and made besoms and baskets in Northumberland.  They became infamous in 1855 when they were charged along with a family of Andersons/Allen with the murder of their landlady called Dorothy Bewick in a case which came to be known as the 'Matfen Murder.'  They were all acquitted at their trial in 1856. In 1841 there is a nine year old Jane Anderson with the family which would go on to be held for trial with my own ancestors.  This family was made up of  Isabella Anderson known as Tibby, Michael Allen, Jane Anderson and Ellen/Eleanor Anderson.  They were hawkers.

James and Elizabeth's youngest son Thomas married Isabella Miller who was the daughter of Jacob and Jane Miller nee Anderson.  The latter was the daughter of Alexander and Isabella Anderson.  (Morpeth area). 

My ancestor James' had a sister called Ann who married an Adam Drummond.  They had a daughter Mary.  I don't know what became of Ann and family after that.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack,

Welcome to RootsChat!

Did you mean to post anything else besides my quote?  I am quite excited to see if you are posting because you may also be a descendant, perhaps?

Offline Jack gray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi river Tyne lass, I noticed you mentioned Adam Drummond being married to Ann, they are my 5 x great grand parents. They had a son Thomas born in shilbottle in 1804. Andrew born eglingham 1807. Adam born longframlington 1810, jane longfram' 1814 and john born 1819 who died aged approx' 1yr. Ann's father was Andrew Allen basket maker native of lorbottle. I can't seem to find anything more about Adam or Ann prior to 1804, but I have the whole family tree up to 1903 if it's any help to you. Regards jack.

Offline Jack gray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
Yes but I'm new to this and made a mistake. The Adam Drummond you mentioned who married Ann Conroy is Andrew Drummond and Mary Ramsey's son , I think I have the name's of the children they had but I'll have to dig through my paperwork for you.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack,

I wonder if we are talking about different people - the Ann Conroy who was the sister of my Great x 2 Grandparents James and Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick and who married Adam Drummond was born in 1834 and baptised in Chatton.  They had a daughter called Mary before their marriage.

I am not at home but I have lots of information at home.  Their marriage information and more ..

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
Oh, so you might be a descendant after all?  Very exciting!!

This would be great as after marriage I have lost sight of Ann and Adam .. although I believe I have info at home re daughter Mary which I can hunt out.

I have also lost sight of my Great Grandfather x 2 sister Margaret born 1837 and sister of Ann.  Last I have her is when she was sent to the Hexham House of Correction.

If you are a descendant, I would gladly send my email to you by pm.  I have researched a lot on this family so can send you a lot over time.  (However, I must say I do not know still what became of Ann and Margaret and I still do not know what became of my Great x 2 ancestor Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick after 1881.)

What complicates things a little is that I also know that sometimes this family also used the alias name of Gilroy/Kilroy.  This is definitely established.  An article in the press also related that my ancestor James Conroy was also known as Gilroy - this came to light during a court case.  Whether the use of these alias names was by accident or design I will likely never know.