Author Topic: Sharing Useful Tips: GERMANY and E. Europe  (Read 126036 times)

Offline memartens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing Useful Tips: GERMANY and E. Europe
« Reply #36 on: Friday 28 August 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, there can be regional surnames. I was able to localize one of my family lines to a single county in Bavaria by the simple expedient of searching the German telephone directory for that name. I was very lucky in that case. It seems that, except for the branch that emigrated, the family has never strayed very far from home.

Good luck,
Margaret

Stupid question, probably, however:

Can German surnames be regionalised, like, are certain surnmes common to a particular area of Germany.  I'm looking for Fidell Beurle (anglicised to Bailey on the 1861 census) but the census only gives birthplace as Germany, approximately 1811.

Also, I had Fidell (or Fidel) down as a Spanish name.  Has anyone researching in Germany come across this first name often or is it a hint at more Mediterranean origins (as the family 'rumour' goes)?

Any help appreciated!!
Martens, Ketelhut, Daeschlein, Gladwin/Gladding, Dingman, Wirth, Snyder, Vanness,

Offline mermaid-nl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
A few tips I've picked up along the way.

I assumed my grandparents were born in Czechoslovakia because I googled and found thier birth place.  So I assumed (again) that they were Czech.  WRONG!  The town where they were born was THEN in Austria. 

Also surenames.  I have a Ruzicka surname in my tree for a female.  WRONG!  Ruzicka is the male version of the name Ruzickova is the female version.

Also my great grandfather began his life as Veseley and ended up as Weseley.

Has anyone got any idea why the whole family up-routed and moved from Vsetine (in Czech) to Mettmann in Germany before 1900?

Thanks for taking the time to read this....

Ursula (pronounced Or-zu-la)  ;D
Martin London / Dodd Essex, East Indies/ Cantan Pembroke, Maidstone)

Offline carinthiangirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ruzicka
« Reply #38 on: Friday 12 March 10 14:25 GMT (UK) »
"Also surenames.  I have a Ruzicka surname in my tree for a female.  WRONG!  Ruzicka is the male version of the name Ruzickova is the female version."

the - ova was not always taken - i also have a ggggrandmother which had the name Ruzicka not Ruzickova. she was the mother of my gggrandmother from Medlice in Moravia (Czech Republic).
also had female cousins of my grandmother who
immigrated to USA before 100 years. the one stated at arriving her name as Skaryd, the other as Skarydova. both was usual that time.  :)

"I assumed my grandparents were born in Czechoslovakia because I googled and found thier birth place.  So I assumed (again) that they were Czech.  WRONG!  The town where they were born was THEN in Austria."
what was the lastname of your grandparents and the town they came from?
Bohemia and Moravia (now Czech Republic) were austrian crownlands that time, but if they had czech names , so also were from czech orgin. or did they have german lastnames, so they were germans (Sudeten-germans)?

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 05 July 10 15:29 BST (UK) »

Otherwise, if you are lucky enough to have ancestors from these particular places,
there are Ortsfamilienbücher (Local Heritage Books) which give personal info.
Check out your luck here: http://www.online-ofb.de/index.html

Just started search for my BIL's family on ofb site.  When translated into English it also translates names - coming up with things such as Dirt Leather; Diaper; Fabric Rain etc.

Very strange and extremely confusing.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 05 July 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi msr,

Possibly a translator program trying to come to terms with old words and phrases :)

Why not start a new forum topic with one or two entries, and we can help "interpret" them :)

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 05 July 10 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

It's no problem as the names are shown in the original German and the 'quaint' translations.   

One ancestor - Windeler translated as diaper.  Obvious US translation otherwise for UK it would probably have been Nappy.  ;D ;D

Susan

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 06:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, Windeln = Diaper = Nappy  ;D
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline carinthiangirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline ziggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 12 September 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
I have just found this site by accident and perhaps it was just luck but I have been able to trace my grandfather's ancestors back to the 17c.  I have also been able to find my grandmother's family, something which my mother knew very little about.  Hope someone finds it as helpful as what I have - I have been hitting a brick wall a lot of the time but now this has opened doors for me to go further.

www.peine-ahnen.de

ziggie