Author Topic: Wound Badge  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wound Badge
« on: Monday 09 January 06 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I have just found out that My GGranddad served with 2nd Garrison Bn R. Ir. Fus and saw service in Salonica (I think) There is a wound badge with his 2 medals numbered either 128228 or 178228. How would I find out about this detail?
Thanks
Bob
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: Wound Badge
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 06 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is a post from the other week.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,104053.0.html

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 15:39 GMT (UK) »
bob,have a look on the rim of his medals,his number is there,what was his name,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 16:35 GMT (UK) »
hi Mack. Does that mean that the wound badge number is the same as the regimental number? If this is the case then the wound badge does not belong to my Great Granddad. His name was Samuel McGrath, 2nd Gar Bn, R.Ir.Fus
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 17:51 GMT (UK) »
your safe mate,the SWB has its own issue number,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 17:57 GMT (UK) »
bob,this is his number,samuel mcgrath g/1358,royal irish fusiliers,mack

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 18:09 GMT (UK) »
bob,the 2nd garrison batt,royal irish fus were formed at dublin in april 1916,they moved to templemore in may the same year,in aug they sailed for salonika and served there from 1-3-17 till 6-8-17,by sept 1918 they were serving as lines of communications troops,i have a gut feeling that this medal card is also his.
pte samuel mcgrath
13085 royal irish rifles
then
corporal 499692 labour corps
mack

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mack. I think that you have the wrong Samuel. My GGdad is 1385 Pte Samuel McGrath although I am waiting for confirmation of this. Sadly the medals are not in my possesion, the wound badge is either 128228 or 178228. 1385 Samuel McGrath is shown to have enlisted on 14/9/1914 just short of his 40th and he is discharged in May 1917 due to illness. There are only the BWM/ Victory Pair with the wound badge, 13085 McGrath is also entitled to the 14/15 Star. If 2nd Garrison Bn formed in 1916 and My GGdad enlisted in Sept 1914. I wonder where he was to start with and why he does NOT have a Star? I tried to send you the files with his MIC and the page from the Medal Roll but they are 2 big
Bob

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 19:02 GMT (UK) »
the numbers were probably the wrong way round bob,i think the other medal card may be his,albeit that he was a reservist recalled on the outbreak,i wonder if he served with the royal irish rifles then the RIF and then posted to the labour corps when he became ill???mack
ps,it might be worth posting this on the great war forum,des7 and a few others are well clued up on the irish regts