Author Topic: Sheilds family of Patrington  (Read 6974 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Sheilds family of Patrington
« on: Monday 09 January 06 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I have been pleasantly surprised by a new finding in my tree. I was after the wrong family but now that I have the right one, the data works so much better together.

William Shields (born abt 1801 in Patrington)  married Frances Milner in 1821 in Patrington. They had the following kids that I can find.  Probably more due to the gaps:
Ann, 1826
George, 1831
William, 1836
Edward, 1840
Thomas, 1828

William the son was a servant in Bilton by age 14.  He continues in service until he died in 1905 in Bilton.

Any bright ideas to help me along on my research.  I cannot find coverage of Patrington on the IGI in the years I am looking for. 
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sheilds family of Patrington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nutkin:
Just saw your message re your Shield family in Patrington.  I have a Margaret Sheilds born ca, 1796 in Patrington.  Her parents are William Shields and Martha Crawforth.

Margaret married Matthew Hercliff i5 Nov. 1821 in patrington..... Guess what I just looked at the photo copy of the page with the marriage on and on the same page is the marriage of William Shields and Frances Milner.

I think William is a brother to my Margaret.  I do have some more Shields information.   Just have to find it.

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nutkin:

Do you know anything about the Milner family? I have the Monumental inscriptions for Partington.  I noticed that there are some Milners listed.

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I am so happy to hear from you. I do not know much yet about this branch of the Shields family. I do have some to add.  I think we are related.  William and Fanny had a daughter named Martha Shields bapt 1824 in Patrington.  Another daughter names Sarah Milner Shields bapt in 1822 in Patrington.  I bet we are related.

I have not seen the MI's for Patrington. I was going to try to buy them from EYFHS. I do have the MI's for Swine Parish, Skirlaugh and Bilton.  If you want me to check anything for you.

William Shields(b1801) had a son William(b1836-d1905) who was in service as a gardener later working is way up to head gardener for an estate in Bilton. He had a daughter Emily who was the nanny and later governess for the same family. Emily married Thomas Nixon (stone mason) and they came to the US in 1907 from Bilton.  I know a bit about their life in Bilton through some family letters describing life around 1900.

I would love any tips you have on the Milner family.
- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kirstin:

I will send you the MI's for Milner's later on today. I am just going to go downtown before the snow gets worse here there is a chance it will turn to freezing rain and if that happens I don't want to be on the road.  Also will look for the shields information as well. I know I have it somewhere. I got if from someone a few years ago who was related to Margaret Shields. I had put is away till I had time to work on it.

Cheers
Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you a bunch!  Couldyou check for Shields mi's while you are at it!  Hate to be cheeky but have been stuck on my Shields family for so long it is great to catch a break!
-Kristin

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kristin:

I don't mind sending you what information I have so far on the Shields family. I must say  looking for the information has helped me sort through a big pile of paper work and I have spend the morning sorting it all out.  this has been a job I have been putting off but it is now done !!

The Shields information comes from a person is decends from Sarah Shields born 1806 who is a sister to Margaret Shields.

Like I said have not done a lot of work on this side of my family yet:

William  Shields  born ca. 1769,  died 1828  married 1792 in Patrington to Martha Crawforth  born 1776 died 1853.

They had the following children:

Hannah             1795
Magaret             1796 - 1856
Ann                    1797
William               1800
Elizabeth            1802 - 1804
Thomas              1805
Sarah                 1806 - 1887
Edward              1808
Elizabeth            1815

Sarah Shields married Wilfred Kemp  1828 in Partrington
Margaret Shields married  Mathew Hercliff 5 November 1823 in Patrington.

If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I will try and scan the page with the marriages of Willam Shields and Margaret Sheilds to you.  Or do you have a copy of the Wiliams marriage?

Cheers
Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kristin:

The only Shields listed in the MI's for Patrington is the following:

Charles Henry  Shields   died   11 of September  1864  aged 7 years of age.

Here are the following Milners:

George Milner   died 16 May 1846  age 53 years old.

Mary Milner daughter of William and Mary Milner died 8 Sept. 1768.  States William's occupation is a bricklayer.

William Milner  died April 1770  aged 54 years

George Milner  died 27November 1830 aged 75 years

Ann Milner wifie of George died  27 Jan. 1831  agead 74 years.

If you have any other families that you think may be buried in Patrington let me know and I have a look for them.

Cheers
Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Kirstin:

Just noticed something very interesting in the Shields information.  It pays to re- read.  I noticed that

Ann Shields married at Geroge Milner 1820 in Patrington !!!  So did a search on the IGI and found the marriage date  26 Aug. 1820 in Patrington..

Also did a search for Hannah Shields and came up with the following:

Ann Shields and a William Kemp   married   10 jan. 1815 in Patrington. This could be Hannah as I know Ann is short for Hannah.

Now you have me working on the shields family.. Going to see if I can find any more marriages.

Cheers
Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss