Author Topic: Sheilds family of Patrington  (Read 6943 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Sheilds family of Patrington
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Anne,

Glad to have inspired.  I just sent my email by PM.  Now I have a bit more to go on with the Shields line.  I was chaising a William Shields who was born in 1834 in Hull and father was Joseph born in Owthorne in 1800. Close but turns out to be wrong after I received William's marriage record in 1857 which had his father listed. I chased about the census and everthing clicked to the family in Patrington.  The ones in Hull/Owthorne never quite made sense with some unanswered moves around the area.

Any how, my William Shields and descendants have worked as farm laborers on estates in Yorkshire and it seems the Patrington crew has the names of kids that match with the use of maiden names as middle names.  I love it when it all comes togher rather nicely.

Well, I am off to pour over all the data you sent.  I am giddy with excitement of a new search!!
- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 January 06 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Anne,

Question. I was playing around on the IGI and found a William Shields bapt March 3, 1769 in Welwick, the son of William and Margaret Shields.  This is the same year , 1769, as the William you sent married to Martha Crawforth.  DO you know if this William was born in Welwick?  If so, then I may have found a bit more on them in the Patrigton/Welwick area.  In a book I have from the EYFHS, William married Margaret Ellis (of Easington) January 15, 1759 in Welwick.  Furthermore, I have access to a book of Patrington Parish Registers up to 1731 that has tons more.  However, I hate to chase this down until I hear back.  Did that once before and it took more two years to sort it all out.

- Kristin

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 January 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi KirstIn:

Just saw your message. Will get out my shields information and get back to you.   

Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 January 06 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirstin:

Here is the Shield's marriage line. That I have so far:

William Shields   married  Martha Crawforth   1792   Patrington

William Shields   married  Margaret Ellis          1759   Welwick

William Shields   married  Milcah  Parker          1732   Humbleton

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 January 06 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Looks like I am wokring in the correct direction.  One last question tonight.  Where did you get these marriages?  Is it from the IGI or the woman you told me about previously? 

Thank you. I will let you know what else I can dig out!- Kristin

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 January 06 02:58 GMT (UK) »
hi Kristin:

The information is from Sandra who decends from Sarah Shields sister to William and Margaret.  Plus I have the booklet Marriages   1754-1837 for Welwick.

It has the following information:

Jan. 15 1759

William Shields of this parish  batch and Margaret Ellis of the parish of Easingston spin.

Cheers
Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 January 06 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! Will let you know what else I find.- Kristin

Offline jackiewright

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 September 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
I descend from William Shields and Micah Parker.  I have done a little work on the Shields of Patrington.
jackiewirght

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 September 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi jackie:

Nice to meet someone else connected to the Shields family. 

Cheers
Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss