Author Topic: Bourdot Family in Belfast  (Read 23000 times)

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
Bourdot Family in Belfast
« on: Tuesday 10 January 06 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there (sidles into chatroom).  I'm looking for information on the Bourdot family who lived in Belfast (Antrim) and descendents.  Nicholas Bourdot was a French POW from Carrickfergus in 1760 and decided not to go home to Champagne.  His son was Jacques (b.1770) (a hairdresser in Corn Market) and his son was John Baptist (b.1797).  John's children were: John (1824), Samuel (1825), Hessie (1826), Eleanor (1828), Samuel Ralston (1830) and William (1832).  Hessie married James McGlaughlin in 1849 and Samuel Ralston emigrated to New Zealand in 1875 (leading to me).  Family may have moved around the counties (Antrim, Derry, Down) but I have no idea what happened to the rest of them left in N.Ireland.  Can anyone help with anything on the family from Nicholas onwards?
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bourdot Family in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Infobunny:
Nice sidle there!  Have you seen the item at Irish Gravestone Inscriptions?
http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?id=657

According to this item:
"He was buried in Clifton Street graveyard and his inscription reads: ‘Here lieth the body of Nicholas Bourdot, of Chaumont in Bossigni in Champagne, who departed this life on the 12th December 1816 aged 78 years’. His descendents continued to live in Belfast for some time after this Nicholas Bourdot died 17th August 1891 aged 21 years."

Good luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,
I really appreciate you spending time on this.  I did find that site a while ago and it really knocked us all as the guy is the stuff of family legend so finding him on the net was huge.  However all it did was wind me up as I have no idea who his grandson Nicholas (as per the inscription) belonged to.  Also Samuel Ralston Bourdot Sr married Elizabeth Jane McKinley (b. 1831 in County Armagh) in 1849 but I'm not sure where in NI this was.

Just hoping the family haven't died out!  There must be someone else out there.

Thanks
Infobunny
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Infobunny:
I enjoy a good search especially when there is an interesting story behind it. I am wondering if the name got "modified" to more resemble the pronounciation.
I checked the Vital Records Index and found your Hessy's marriage and John's.
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details[/color]
I found only one birth in the Index.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details
RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Hope this helps some.
Good luck and keep sidling.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

You are so amazing!!!! ;D  The sidling has now turned into jumping up and down in pure excitement!  ;D

I knew of Hessie's marriage but now I may have the correct spelling of her name.  And now with the ages maybe her date of birth is a little wrong at our end or she told a big porky.  Now also have husband's father's name too (pity it isn't something weird).  I also knew of Frederick's birth but family records had him down as being born in Belfast (unless Castlereagh is in Belfast...) so there is new info also.

But the big big news is of John.  Family legend based on Samuel Ralston Jr's recollections had John disappearing as a child but with always with the hope that maybe he had married.  And now you've found him!!  That's so fantastic.  This is the first any of us over here in NZ have had word that he lived at least until marriage.  Now the big hope is for him to have had kids.  He's got to be on some remote census somewhere then.

The last family legend on this family concerns William in that he is said to have married and had several daughters.  We have no idea if this is true or not.  I have checked Ellis Island but have no record of a William Bourdot going through there anyway.  I don't know what has become of him.

John Baptist Bourdot had a second marriage to Isabella Wilson on 5 Aug 1833 and produced Eleanor Jane (5 Dec 1834) and Isabella (b. ?).  We know nothing more about them.

All the Bourdot's in Ireland hold such fascination for us as they come with stories but nothing beats the sheer excitement of finding one.  I think it's the name that does it.

Once again Pat, you are a complete star!  Anytime I can do something for you...

Cheers

Infobunny
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
This is really interesting and I am enjoying reading it.
I noted that IGI has a birth entry for
Albert Bourdot , 8 August 1866 Belfast, Armagh.  His parents are Samuel and Elizabeth McKinley too.
Best wishes
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Thanks for your efforts.  I had found Albert on IGI - he got to look after Count von Luckner after his capture in NZ in WW1.  I'm surprised that with so odd a surname we are so little on the net but that could be a byproduct of name evolution and marriage, etc. (how dare that happen!)

I'm still discovering the power of IGI.  There may still be things in there that I haven't found yet - like any kids of Hessy Bourdot and James McGlaughlin.

Do you have any idea where Castlereagh is?

Thanks

Infobunny
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Castlereagh is in County Down I think and just a few miles from Belfast.
Best wishes
Heywood

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Apologies if you already have this- I don't want to inundate you with possible family members!
I found this too on : http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/ONTARIO/2003-07/1059237104

#015118-94 (Toronto) John LAING, 30, Scotland, Toronto, b, teamster, s/o
James & Elsie LAING, married Bella BOURDOT, 29, Belfast, Toronto, s, d/o
John & Mary BOURDOT, witn: Alexander WILL, Hessie M. KIDD, both Toronto,
married 24 October 1894
I assume that Bella is from Belfast NI -couldn't find a Belfast in Toronto environs - interesting name links though.