Author Topic: Look Up at Aylesbury for Knight  (Read 1786 times)

Offline 47jonno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Look Up at Aylesbury for Knight
« on: Thursday 12 January 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm still looking for some Knight info.

My research suggests my GGGF is John James Knight who was likely baptised at Fenny Stratford ca 1827, the son of George Knight (b Great Brickhill?? ca 1808) and Mary (nee Swain, b Stoney Stratford?? ca 1805) - as all found in Islington in 1861 census. Sibs of JJK might include Edward (b1835) George (b1836) and Ann (b1842) but surely there were more?

Can anyone confirm or clarify births of any of these, or add to this, by reference to local records? Any info would be very gratefully received. Regards John

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up at Aylesbury for Knight
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 13:50 BST (UK) »
could this be them in 1851?
living at 5 blue lion ct
st botolphs
middlesex
george knight 43yrs ostler born little brittle,bucks
mary 45yrs born cabverter bucks
edward 15yrs errand boy born abbots langley
george 14yrs born abbots langley
ann jane 8yrs born rotherithe
john owen 35yrs lodger porter
john hughes 22yrs lodger baker
william barton 31yrs lodger waiter
SOURCE INFO-H0107-1525
FOLIO-436
PAGE-19
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline 47jonno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alli for the info ex 1851 census. I have found this family before but have been uncertain if it is the correct George and Mary (ie if they also had a son John James). I had made a note (Check for possible further daughter called Eleanor baptised on 20/6/1830 at Little Brickhill born to a George Knight - a horse keeper (ostler) - and wife Mary plus a son Edward baptised 23/5/1835 also at Little Brickhill). There are certain anomalies eg other siblings notably the whereabouts of John James Knight and Eleanor, and birthplace/christening location of son Edward (Little Brickhill v Abbotts Langley), Great Brickhill v Little Brickhill as George's birthplace. I'm trying to convince myself that there are not two George and Mary's albeit that childrens' names are similar and they may be related in any event. I have in mind a George of LB and a George of GB! Of course its not unknown for an infant death to be followed by the birth of another infant given the same first name or there to be 'confusion' as to birthplace and christening location.

Are you able to find John James Knight (married to a Louisa) and get a connection to this same family? Perhaps you can see two George and Mary's!

I fear I need more light on the Knight! Here's hoping you can find more. Thanks Jonno

Offline Phigs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking for Knight in Bucks pre-1820
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonno - I think we may have spoken 10 years ago on this subject - are you still researching? I might be able to add something, John James married Louisa Rogers, for instance- could you contact me? (I'm hoping that if you just reply I will get a notification...?)
Steve
KNIGHT / SWAIN or SWAYNE / Mat(t)hias / Reading in Bucks Herts and London, pick a slum, any slum....

Offline 47jonno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 17 20:00 BST (UK) »
hi steve
I recall we did make contact some long while ago. You were in Welwyn I think. I am near Watford and Hemel.

I have been chasing other family lines and filling out family lives, but I have got no further back on the Knights except for speculating that John James's father may have been George b1808 d1870 (married to Mary Swain b 1805 d 1873) and was from Great Brickhill in Bucks.

Did you say that you are descended from JJKs brother George (married to Margaret Mathias) who perhaps had at least 2 children - Edward and George? Or like me are you descended from a son of John James K?

I'm especially interested in how this family established a connection with places very near to me (namely Hunton Bridge and Abbotts Langley).

There seems to be a horsey/cabbie connection throughout the 19th century until cars became more available to the wealthy class for whom they sometimes worked. I think around 1891 my GGF worked in the household of George B Kent (in Belgravia), the royal brush makers who now have a factory at Apsley very near to where I live! My GGF lived in Belgrave Mews and then (somehow) got to own a terrace in Bushey Heath that was called Hunton Cottages - before trying his hand at being a shopkeeper.

Even my GF (b1885) was horse mad and instructed some fancy folk in carriage driving (Prince Phillip style) and was a regular at Ascot and Goodwood. He took over the shop keeping.

regards John