Author Topic: WHYTT family from Ferry Port on Craig - plus other Fife interests  (Read 3014 times)

Offline johnmcrae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WHYTT family from Ferry Port on Craig - plus other Fife interests
« on: Friday 13 January 06 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a few connections in Fife, but probably the easiest one to start researching is the WHYTT family in Ferry Port on Craig because of the unusual spelling.

It appears that the spelling changes over time to the more usual White which does not help research.

I am back as far as JAMES WHYTT born about 1757 (but I don't know where) and married to AGNES BERRIE on 6/10/1786.

They had 10 children that I have found, called David, John, James, Watson, Agnes, Catherine, Thomas, William, Margaret and Betty (births ranging from 3/12/1786 to 7/8/1810 all in Ferry Port on Craig).

Agnes's parents were JOHN BERRIE and MARGARET WATSON and Agnes was born on 8/8/1766 in Ferry Port on Craig.

There was also 4? other children in the house that I now of.  Katherine is the youngest one I have found.  The others are Margaret, John and John.

The two Johns are confusing and are listed in the parish record as being born 15 months apart.  I am guessing that the first one died very young and the second one was called after the first one, or they had middle names that seperated them.

If anyone can take me back further I would be grateful.

Some of my other Fife connections are

David STEWART married to Janet BUTTER in Newburgh (29/4/1823)
Children found so far are Charles, Margaret and David.

James LOUDEN married to Janet BETT in Abdie (24/11/1793)
Only child found so far is John Louden (ABT 1797) who married Barbara CLARK (Logie 15/12/1832) and had 8 children.  Although not a direct decendant of mine one less well known name in the family was Leitch Louden which might make a link easier to find.

Barbara Clarks parents seem to have been James CLARK and Janet SCOTT.

Any help with links for these would also be gratefully accepted.
Aberdeenshire: Ross, Wright, McWilliams, Skene, Ritchie, Sim.
Angus:  Cochrane, Stewart, Baillie, Cochrane, Gavin(e), McMurchie, Murphy, Wright, Hutcheon, McRae, Findlay, McWilliams, Kerr, Ross, Kidd, Edward(s), Maver, Michie, Angus, Allan, Baxter.
Fife: Bett, Louden, Scot(t), Berrie, Watson, Whytt, Stewart, Clark, Beveridge, Butter
Perthshire: Doctor, Henderson, Macrae, Smith, Grimmond, Marr, Baillie, Shepherd, Burry.
Highland: McRae, Morison, Voy.
Lanark: Hawthorn, Malarky, Winchcole, Reid

Offline Ronnie M

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHYTT family from Ferry Port on Craig - plus other Fife interests
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Johnmcrae,
I Have just come across this today, I myself have been researching the Loudens since starting my ancestry research. As far as I can gather James Louden and Janet Bett had eleven children, my line seems to be then to John Louden and Barbara Clark.
I have DNA connections throughout Fife, mostly in connection to the Louden family but no real knowledge of them other than I am related.

Regards,
Ronnie.