Author Topic: ATKINSON, Margaret - Castle Carrock, CUM  (Read 8875 times)

Offline janjan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ATKINSON, Margaret - Castle Carrock, CUM
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 November 04 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Redfox,
    i have some info for you it hasnt been confirmed yet,you may already have it but here goes anyway,
 george davidson married dorothy thirlwell 26 jan 1817 irthington,
dorothy born 1780 irthington to philip thirlwell and mary(hetherington)
 other children
   jane  1789 irthington
   isabella 1793 irthington
   isaac 1778 irthington
   christopher 1784 irthington
   mary 1787 irthington
   philip 1782 irthington

there is 9 children come up for phillip davidson and margaret atkinson do you have all of them ?
   janice

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 November 04 06:32 GMT (UK) »
janjan.  Thanks.  I had some of the info, but not most.  I had taken a date of birth on Dorothy Thirwell Davidson from the 1851 UK census record of 1774 in Walton, but for some reason, wrote 1774 - 1780. (Dorothy lived with the family in 1851).  So I must have picked up the 1780 somewhere.  I did have Philip and Mary, but not last names; again, not sure where I got that.  The law of probability, I think. 

I do have nine children for Philp and Margaret, but found they also had at least two grandchildren living with them as well as a boarding student.  Did not have Dorothy's siblings.  It's interesting because I always wondered where Isaac got his name.  Have never seen it in any other family record.  In fact, most of Dorothy's siblings' names are reflected in the children Philip and Margaret had.  I knew Philip was born in Irthington, but, as I said, I had her in Walton.  So another piece of interesting news.  Still trying to figure out how to find the dates and places of Philip and Margaret's deaths.   Plus I know nothing about George, Philip's father.  I've learned more about Margaret's parents through RootsChat.  Thanks for checking.   RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 08:04 BST (UK) »
I'm smiling because I got back from Cumbria the end of last month.  I had an opportunity to meet janjan and verify some of the information we discussed.  Also Nicky,  I've seen a parish register where Margaret Atkinson Davidson was baptised as Peggy.  It's funny to see that in a parish record from 1824.

I was able to find out other information about Margaret and her family with the help of my new friends in Cumbria. 

It's worth the time to spend at the record office at the Castle in Carlisle if you have ancestors in North Cumbria.

Good luck to everyone in their research and thanks for your help with mine.  RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline lascasimbas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 March 18 04:40 BST (UK) »
My GGGGM, Margaret Atkinson, married Philip Davidson 10 Nov 1844 in Castle Carrock.  She had been born there about 1825.  I believe her father was Christopher Atkinson.

Margaret and Philip lived in C.C. for many decades, raised their family there.  Philip taught there and was a schoolmaster, postmaster, farmer, and, after he left teaching, an assistant steward.

I would like to learn more about Margaret's parents; I don't know her mother's name.  Margaret's daughters were Elizabeth, Margaret, and Mary, so I'm guessing it could have been one of those names.  I would also like to verify her birth date and learn her date and place of death.  Thanks, RedFox

My great great grandfather John Atkinson was Margaret's brother.  John came to Ontario, married and had 11 children and 44 grandchildren.

Margaret and John's parents were Christopher Atkinson and Elizabeth Dixon.  You can see my work at this link:   https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Atkinson-Descendants-5943     Your ggggm Margaret Atkinson Davidson is on the tree.   I found her 2xgreat grandfather William in his father-in-law's will.  Her 3x great grandparents marriage certificate is also online now.

Owen Atkinson