Author Topic: From Sweden to London, 1946  (Read 955 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
From Sweden to London, 1946
« on: Friday 13 January 06 14:37 GMT (UK) »
My late grandfather emigrated from Sweden to London in 1946 or 47.  His name was Waldis Krilovs, known as Walter, and he was 18 yrs old.  However, I have been unable to find any passenger lists with his name on...I'm probably not looking in the right place?  How can I get as much info as I possibly can about him?   I know after a few yrs he moved to the Notts area.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: From Sweden to London, 1946
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Board of Trade records held at the National Archives only recorded passengers who were coming from outside Europe.

Do you have his marriage certificate, if he married in the UK? That would give you his father's name and occupation.

What was his occupation? There may be information available that way.

You could try and find him on phone directories and electoral registers in the UK - try the local library - and if he shows up in the electoral registers then you should be able to hunt down naturalization records for him.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: From Sweden to London, 1946
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou.  I do have his marriage cert, apparantly his father was a naval captain in Sweden.  Hadn't thought of checking electoral rolls, so will look into that.  Rebekah.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).