Author Topic: Where was Jane in 1851???  (Read 648 times)

Offline Treemaker

• I am sorry my email and website are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists don't die.They just lose their census
    • View Profile
Where was Jane in 1851???
« on: Friday 13 January 06 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I know some folks like a challenge, so thought I would post my query.

My whatever times great grandmother was Jane ASHWORTH. She was born about 1767 (where, I don't know other than probably in Yorkshire). Her husband James, a carpet weaver, died in 1837. I don't have her 1841 census entry, but most of her offspring were in the Liversedge/Heckmondwike area at the time.

I have a burial record from January 1852 stating she was buried at Birstal and is described as "widow of  James, carpet weaver of Heckmondwike. Aged 85 years. There is also an entry in the BMD index for a death registered in the march quarter of 1852, which ties in with the burial record.

So just a few months earlier in the 1851 census, she just does not seem to appear. I thought she may even have remarried, but she is buried as ASHWORTH so don't think that would be the case.

Any ideas anyone?

Yours hopefully
Martin
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Ormondroyd - North Bierley, Harwood - Leeds, Hilton - Lancashire, Hunt - Kidderminster, Ackroyd - Liversedge, Hooson - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Ashworth - Liversedge, Grainger - Hartwith, Ellis - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Hutchinson - East Ayton, Asquith - Liversedge, Denton - Leeds, Clegg - Cleckheaton, Prince - Leeds & Firth - Liversedge

Offline Bryan.

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 1938 - 2006
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Jane in 1851???
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 January 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Long shot.....and not in Yorkshire.

Do you have any of the childrens names? as, on the 1851 census there is a Jane Ashworth aged 84 yrs. b. West Edenfield, Lancs. living with a son Henry, aged 53 yrs., ag.lab.,in Burnley.

???

Bryan.
Brownell...Sheffield.
Rodgers....Sheffield
Harper...Great Barford,Beds. 
Hull...Roxton,Beds
Wostenholme,Sheffield, 
Elliot, Baslow,Derbyshire
Duke, Birmingham.....Sheffield
Palmer, Nottingham....Holbeach
Hall,Nottingham

:-*   8)    ::)     :o

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treemaker

• I am sorry my email and website are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists don't die.They just lose their census
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Jane in 1851???
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 06 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan,
The children were called William, Richard, John, Charles & George. They were born between 1802 & 1811 in Leeds and Liversedge which is where they remained. Jane didn't marry James until 1802, so I don't think the Lancs entry will be her but thanks for the input.

Regards
Martin
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Ormondroyd - North Bierley, Harwood - Leeds, Hilton - Lancashire, Hunt - Kidderminster, Ackroyd - Liversedge, Hooson - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Ashworth - Liversedge, Grainger - Hartwith, Ellis - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Hutchinson - East Ayton, Asquith - Liversedge, Denton - Leeds, Clegg - Cleckheaton, Prince - Leeds & Firth - Liversedge