Author Topic: Old Mystery Photo  (Read 25125 times)

Offline Jan_down_south

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hannah Siddall nee Jagger circa 1939
    • View Profile
Old Mystery Photo
« on: Saturday 14 January 06 16:23 GMT (UK) »
This picture was found taped to the back of a more modern picture that had been taken down for re-framing.

It belonged to my Aunt but, at the moment, I have no idea exactly when or where it was taken.

Judging from the picture I would say it's a Christmas lunch, possibly held at a pub (bars on the windows) and very likely to have been in Halifax, possibly at the Cherry Tree pub.

Does anyone recognise it?  Any idea what year or era? 

TIA
Jan  ;D
Halifax -  Pratt, Lord, Blagbrough (Blakebrough), Naylor, Atkinson, Southwood, Cockroft, Hoyle, Dry, Denton, Barker and McDermott
Bradford/Clayton - Jagger
Bradford - Denton
Southowram - Pratt, Jagger
Hartshead/Clifton - Pratt
Sowerby - Siddall
Pershore Worcs - Clarke, Checketts
Lord, Ontario, Canada

Offline isitdust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Peter Machon
    • View Profile
Re: Old Mystery Photo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 06 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello

What a fantastic picture

Reminds me of my younger years - it looks for me as if the photo was taken in the 1950's

I think this period because of the Chrismas decorations and the fact that my Mum and Gran wore simlilar clothes and the pinny's worn by the ladies was so popular at that time

Were any of you relatives in the photo - this would help date it better

Best regards
Peter
Surname interests:
Machon(Poland), Hill, Howard, Tate, Cockburn, Maltby, Atack(Haytack), Wood, Walker, Brittle, Anderson
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Area Interests:
Poznan Poland, Nottingham, London, Oxfordshire, Middlesex, Durham, Northumberland, Huddersfield West Yorkshire, Burton on Trent Staffordshire

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 06 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jan

I was going to suggest you contacted the guy who was asking about the Cherry Tree Inn in Golcar on another thread that I put in touch with someone, but having read your entry again you are talking about Halifax not Huddersfield - although they are very close to each other. Is this a common pub name or not?

Secondly, have you written to the Huddersfield Daily Examiner? You can email the photo to them and they can put it in their paper and ask for readers' help (although it might want scanning again as it is a bit out of focus). You can email them at editor at examiner.co.uk
(replace the at with @)
Or the Halifax Courier via their website on http://www.halifaxcouriertoday.co.uk/contactus.aspx

Newspapers love all that sort of stuff

Good luck

Louise

Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline Jan_down_south

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hannah Siddall nee Jagger circa 1939
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 06 13:50 GMT (UK) »
To "Isitdust"

That's the very crux of the matter, there's nothing written on the back of the photo and it's not known why it had been hidden behind another.  The faces have been looked at but no-one looks "that" familiar.

You think it's as late as the 1950's?  I thought the clothes looked older?

I'm going to contact the Halifax Courier to see if they will print it.  They printed the Cherry Tree pub one for me back in the summer, so you never know.

To Louise

Thanks for reminding me about the Halifax Courier - I will contact them as they printed the Cherry Tree pub one for me back in the summer.

Cheers
Jan  ;D

Halifax -  Pratt, Lord, Blagbrough (Blakebrough), Naylor, Atkinson, Southwood, Cockroft, Hoyle, Dry, Denton, Barker and McDermott
Bradford/Clayton - Jagger
Bradford - Denton
Southowram - Pratt, Jagger
Hartshead/Clifton - Pratt
Sowerby - Siddall
Pershore Worcs - Clarke, Checketts
Lord, Ontario, Canada

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've had a good look at this photo and tried to enhance it a little, not much success there.
Just a few thoughts.
The clock looks like it could be 10.05 - light outside so it is am. and therefore may not be a pub.
No glasses on the table - again not a pub
People wearing coats - cold - no heating - post war?
Possibly Womens Institute - all female staff and most of the people seated.
Wondering about the picture over the first lady's head, I think I have seen similar but I can't put a name to it and is that a light shade in the background? or one of those copper things that are found hanging from pub ceilings?
Is the dark square object on the wall between the windows a light switch? could it be Bakelite?
The decorations certainly look 50's or 60's (we were using paper chains in the 50's)
Regards Dave

Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I just wondered if it was a 'below stairs' sort of staff picture? The windows look like they may be below street level, in 'the area'.

Just a thought...

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:30 GMT (UK) »
my guess is the 40/50ties there seems to be a lack of males present is that a clue? kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline isitdust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Peter Machon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Can I have another try at the years - I agree it could also be the 1940's

BUT

Look at the picture very closly and you will see that some of the women are wearing hats or bonnets very similar to those wore by the Salvation Ary

Best regards
Peter
Surname interests:
Machon(Poland), Hill, Howard, Tate, Cockburn, Maltby, Atack(Haytack), Wood, Walker, Brittle, Anderson

Area Interests:
Poznan Poland, Nottingham, London, Oxfordshire, Middlesex, Durham, Northumberland, Huddersfield West Yorkshire, Burton on Trent Staffordshire

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:51 GMT (UK) »
if only we could see the 3 pic's above the first lady on the left, they could possibly give a clue to what the hall/room was used for. as for the hats i think they do look like sally army but it was also the style around the timeand i don't think they all look the same?
                                                                             kali
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.