Author Topic: Old Mystery Photo  (Read 22175 times)

Offline Jan_down_south

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hannah Siddall nee Jagger circa 1939
    • View Profile
Re: Old Mystery Photo
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 29 July 10 08:21 BST (UK) »
Morning Dave

I don't recognise any of the names.  The only thing that seemed familiar was the format of the photo.  This is one from about 1928  ;D

However, it did make me look more closely at my mystery photo again and I think I may have come up with an answer but I need to see what my cousin thinks first.  I'll let everyone know if the mystery is solved!

Cheers
Jan 
Halifax -  Pratt, Lord, Blagbrough (Blakebrough), Naylor, Atkinson, Southwood, Cockroft, Hoyle, Dry, Denton, Barker and McDermott
Bradford/Clayton - Jagger
Bradford - Denton
Southowram - Pratt, Jagger
Hartshead/Clifton - Pratt
Sowerby - Siddall
Pershore Worcs - Clarke, Checketts
Lord, Ontario, Canada

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 29 July 10 15:38 BST (UK) »
This seems to be the standard wedding format for the time, as confirmed on the wedding groups of my mother and her two sisters. Wait in anticipation for the soluition.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nurmal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
I have such a teapot purchased at great expense £3.00 from our local village hall 'get rid of our rubbish 'sales.  In our village in rural Yorkshire we still have the occasional birthday party and special aniversary.  Some of our older inhabitants still like a get together at the village hall.

Offline harvo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 12 August 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
HI another 4pennyworth ,
      I would say definitely 40s era,as the ladies standing and serving are possibly a generation younger than those sitting ,maybe its an old folks treat for christmas,or works party for the retired.the picture on the wall behind 1st lady appears to be 3x caricature's ,is it a political club building.
     All speculation i'am afraid,regards Trevor.

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 15 August 10 18:54 BST (UK) »
I pop in on the West Yorkshire board occasionally to see if anything relevant to my ancestors from the Halifax area has been posted. Hadn't expected to spend over an hour reading through five pages of a thread about a mystery photo that has gone unidentified for over four years.

My thoughts, after enlarging the photo: The clock in the background reads either 4:40 or 5:10 (p.m., obviously). When the picture is enlarged three or four times, the wide tail of the hour hand becomes clear, pointing to 10.

Someone knew how to set a table. The flowers in the glass vase on the table are real. There is a water line in the neck of the vase, with a dark shadow visible on the right side. Because the vase was tall, it was filled up to the neck to keep it from being tipped over by someone passing a dish or reaching for the last piece of pastry.

The serviettes (or whatever you call them in Yorkshire; we call them napkins where I live) are folded to look like bishops' miters. When I worked as a dining room waiter while I was on a hiatus from university, we used to fold our serviettes/napkins that way. It allegedly brought a touch of class to the table.

The woman holding the tea pot and the two women to her left seem to be staff members of establishment where the event is taking place. Those two women to the right of Ms. Tea Server are interesting because they are dressed both to serve and to take part in the event. Both appear to be wearing aprons and the one next to the woman pouring tea is wearing a hat, like a number of the guests. I think those three serving tea are also guests at the do. They are smiling at the camera, unlike the two younger serving ladies in the background. All of those standing, if they are guests, would be seated behind the gentleman in the right foreground.

The table has nine or ten settings. With a modest 18 inches of space per setting, the table would be twelve to fifteen feet long.

All of that said, I have no idea when (year or decade) or where the picture was taken. The spectacles make me think 1940s.

John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 15 August 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
Excellent thoughts John, I have done my best (400%) zoom on the caricatures, I can't see quite enouigh to say exactly what they are, but they remind me of no period political caricature I have ever seen.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 15 August 10 19:21 BST (UK) »
Jan did you ever post this photo on the Photo Restoring and Dating boards ? or leave a posting on there referring to this thread ?

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 15 August 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
John, the glasses look to me to be early NHS ones - see this site

http://gallery.e2bn.org/image657871.html

The NHS was post war, 1948 I think, so I still opt for 50's. I remember my gran still wearing her 1930's fur coat way past it's sell by date in the 60's. Come to think of it I have a pair of flared trousers in the wardrobe. Us Northerners tend to hang on to our clothes longer than perhaps we should.    :)

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 15 August 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
I think that the earliest feasible date is Easter 1949. Is it worth looking in local newspapers to see whether this or any similar photos of the event were ever published?