Author Topic: MOUNSEY LOWRY & CO - WOODBANK  (Read 4302 times)

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
MOUNSEY LOWRY & CO - WOODBANK
« on: Sunday 15 January 06 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,
              I am looking for information on the firm of Mounsey, Lowry and Co, who were calico printers at Woodbank near Carlisle, at the beginning of the 19th century.
            I have found brief mentions in Steve Bulman's Images of Cumbria site, also merely headline references to records from the firm on the A2A site, no information given.
             I have relatives who worked for them and am particularly interested in how they recruited employees, my family having travelled up from Nottinghamshire.
             Can anyone help?
                           Any information gratefully received
                                           Regards
                                                        Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lorimer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MOUNSEY LOWRY & CO - WOODBANK
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 06 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane

Information as follows:-

John Losh owner of Woodbank, Mortgage 1783 HN/C66/15.

1784, Messers Losh and Co listed as printfield, Baileys Northern Directory 1781, 1784, Losh, Thomas and Co Calico Printer, John Losh.

1794 Losh Thomas and John, Calico Printers.

Woodbank, 1797, Full list of buildings in sale notice, buildings at Lamplugh Close, printfield.

Woodbank, 1797, 19th September, The lease of printfield to be sold, by public auction, A bleaching House, Dye House for six coppers, printing house three storeys hish, large water wheel.  A large drying house, 42 acres of bleaching grounds.

Woodbank, 1803, 26th November and 27th March 1813, Carlisle Journal, Messers Mounsey, Cliffe, Lowry and Co tenants at Woodbank.

John and Thomas  Losh  & Partners carry with another printfield.

Woodbank 1825, printworks 9th March, Term of 21 years, articles of Co partnership, Wiiliam Wilde 1,200 pounds a major in the West Suffolk Milita, James Harrington 3,200 pounds of Woodbank and a printer at Robert Robley of Woodbank, Calico Printer 400 pounds.
Total 4,800 pounds for carrying on the trade of Cailico Printers at Woodbank.

1828, Losh family Denton Holme, Calico Printers.

1843, Woodbank, Stock For Sale, Robert Harrington died.

Woodbank, 1846.
Locos, 29th August, The Woodbank printfields has been taken over by Mr Bouch, for the use of Locomotive Engines.

Woodbank 1859, Lease for sale 13 years of Woodbank for Iron Works.  Losh to Cowans, Sheldon and Co Ltd.

I have actually been up to Woodbank as it's not far from me, by the way as you may have gathered my interest was the Losh family.  I did notice that when the Losh family move there printers to Denton Holme near to the town of Carlisle, but still in the better part of the river, a biography by one of the apprentices, stated that apprentices were also given to, Thomas Benson, GEORGE  MOUNSEY, Thomas Losh, John Milburne and John Wasdale to be taught and instructed in the art, trade and business of a drawer.  This was about 1783, the firm was trading as Losh and Co, but the name of the partners are absent.Then the Milbourne family also owned the mill, he was one of the partners, he held the rights to the water at the millrace.  The partners were constantly changing as one died another took over.

I also have a old copy of a picture of the mill at Denton Holme and sale of stock copies, the wills of the Losh family etc.

By 1851 it goes pear shape, and the print works is up for sale or let.  Mounsey's are the solicitors acting for the sale.  Very important family the Mounseys in this area.  I have copies of the Auction Sales etc.

Regards

Louise   
My email address is not working sorry
Cumberland; Graham, Ogilvie, McCauley, Darling, Underwood,Atkinson, Losh, Heylin,Tinning.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 06 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorimer,
             I am so grateful for all the wonderful information you have given me in your post.
       It looks as if my Anguses were attracted to Woodbank when the printfield was sold to Mounsy Lowry  No doubt they would have advertised for workers at the time. Their previous employment went pearshaped in Notts -- I think it was partly Luddite activity, partly the wicked 5th lord Byron, who flooded the land surrounding the mill in Papplewick.       
   I was intrigued by your reference to a biography of one of the apprentices, can you give me further details of that?
          Is it easy to get to Woodbank? My GG grandfather was born there, and it would be wonderful to visit some time when I am in the UK
                       Many thanks again for all your great post
                                            Regards
                                                         Jane

Offline lorimer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 06 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane

Robert Anderson born in 1770 stated that he was thirteen when he was apprenticed then to the firm Losh & Co.  He exhibited his articles of apprentice  in 1895 at a local arts and crafts exhibition in Carlisle.  By the way Robert Anderson became a well known Cumbrian Bard.  I believe there is a biography of the Cumberland Bard.

According to old journals fires in the cotton mills were a constant danger, and by 1796, they had had three fires at the Losh mill.  A lot of the old journals often carried stories of apprentices to the mills, mainly the Carlisle Journal and Cumberland Pacquet.

It is easy to get to Woodbank from Carlisle by car about fifteen minutes, but now it has a few buildings and a view of course of the river.

The old mills down in Denton Holme that I mentioned, parts of the buildings are still there.

Regards
louise 
My email address is not working sorry
Cumberland; Graham, Ogilvie, McCauley, Darling, Underwood,Atkinson, Losh, Heylin,Tinning.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, lorimer, and thank you for the additional information. It is always so exciting when you begin to flesh out the bare bones of your ancestor's life.
       I presume you  get most of your information from the Archives in Carlisle.
If so, I must really get up there on my next visit.
            I am very very grateful to you for sharing what you have in such detail. It must have taken you ages just to type out.
    I shall google for some of the details you have given me, while saving up for my plane ticket
                               Once more,  my gratitude and thanks, you are a star!
                                                             Regards
                                                                      Jane