Author Topic: CHARMAN one name study  (Read 41480 times)

Offline SMP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lee, Carter and Potter families
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 July 10 02:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Colin!

Is your Alfred Lee a brother to both Edmund and Amelia Jane then?

I have copied information about Thomas Lee (father of Amelia) from the internet, but I can't find anything about Jane Carter except that her father was John Carter. I do not live in England, so do you have any advice about how to proceed from here?

I also can't find any information on the internet about Amelia Lee's husband Henry Potter (born 1839, Uphavon, Hampshire) except that his father was John Potter. Is anyone researching this family?

Thank you again for your help,
SMP

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
  • Charmans, Charmans and Charmans - anywhere anytime
    • View Profile
Re: CHARMAN one name study
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 July 10 06:29 BST (UK) »
From 1851/1861 censuses Jane Carter was born around 1811-1812 in Froxfield. There is a baptism in www.familysearch.org for her.

Thomas Lee is trickier as his birth date from the 1851/1861 censuses would be 1801-1803 in Havant. There is a baptism in familysearch but I noted two Thomas Lee's in the 1861 census born in Havant about 1803. Its possible they are teh same person as theres only one in the 1851.

Offline eddieinilfracombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 August 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
I have a marriage in my family tree, George Charman to Louisa Binfield in Farnham, June 1921. Please do you have any information on this marriage? Louisa Binfield is either the widow of Thomas Binfield (d.1917) or the daughter of Thomas Binfield and Louisa Charlotte (nee Heard) who were my Great Grandparents.
I know my Great Grandmother re-married but cannot be sure how many times or to whom and cannot therefore trace her burial place. I would be grateful of any help, thank you,
Eddie.
Binfield, Eve, Field, Gloak, Heard families in Surrey and Devonshire.

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 August 10 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I found the same marriage too between George Charman and Louisa Binfield Jun q 1921 Farnham. I haven't looked up details of that one so far, and I can't presently identify that George Charman.

There is also a marriage between Louisa Charman and Henry Edwin Harding 25/6/1940 in West Grinstead. The PR entry says Louisa was age 62, widow, and her father was William Stewart Heard (dec), Labourer.  Henry Edwin was age 72, widower, gardener and his father was Allen Harding (dec), Carman.  That makes him Henry Edwin Harding baptised 13/9/1867 in Warnham.

In 1911 Louisa gives her age as 31, so she must have been born about 1878-1880, and her parents must be William Stewart Heard and Elizabeth Ellis who married Mar q 1880 in Elham RD.  Theres no obvious birth registration for Louisa as HEARD but I suspect there may be one somewhere as ELLIS. It doesnt help that I couldnt find William Stewart Heard and his family in 1881/1891, nor could I find Louisa in 1901. I only looked at the 1911 census index so I don't know where it says she was born. If you look it up, please let me know.

William Edwin Hardings death appears to be registered Mar q 1955 in Worthing, aged 87.  I couldnt see an obvious death registration for Louisa Harding, but she could be 1Q1968 horsham age 86 (Ref: 5h/978) or 3Q1940 Brighton age 62 (Ref: 2b/658).

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 September 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin

Do you know if the William Charman who died in Epsom, Surrey, in 1818 aged 76, is the William baptised in Warnham, Sussex in 1742, son of Daniel and Jude?  He had a wife Ann and 11 children in Epsom from about 1770

Brian (Epsom)

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 September 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
Also, do you have any views on whether the John Jarman who had a wife Elizabeth and 8 children from 1725 onwards in Ashtead, Surrey, (next to Epsom), could be a Charman?

Brian

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 September 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian
I had discounted the William Charman b 1742 (s/o Daniel & Jude) as being the William that married Ann Ward 16/3/1769 but now I'm not quite so sure.

Heres why I discvounted the possibility: Daniel & Jude had 10 childrenn baptised alogether including a William on 21/5/1742 and another William 12/4/1761 - both in Warnham.  On the face of it, that would imply that the first William  had died before 1761.

BUT, Ive not found a death/burial anywhere that looks convingly like the first William - except possibly an unidentified one in portsmouth in 1760. And, Daniel & Judes children baptised before after William2 are Francis 26/11/1758,  Mary 3/12/1760, Shelah 7/11/1762 and Henry 26/8/1764.  So for a family that seems to have children every 2 years Williams baptism 12/4/1761 is out of place, and only 5 months after Mary. So I'm just wondering out loud if they felt the need to have William baptised a second time - either because they forgot his baptism as an infant, or for some other reason (eg the first baptism was only 4 months after Daniel & Jude married.

Ive not come across Daniels will (nor any record of Jude/Judiths death) - a will might have proved very useful as Daniel survived until 1800 and might have mentioned William.

I looked at Williams possible siblings and I don't see any of them marrying in Epsom - but his brother Richard may have been the unidentified Richard who married Rebecca Worsfold in Epsom in 1776.

The William who married Ann Ward did leave a will when he died in 1818 but that didnt yield any clues. Ive attached my attempt at a transcript if you want to take a look.

So, the conclusion - its at least a possibility but needs more work!

I see youve left another note - I'll look at that next.

Regards, Colin Charman

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 September 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
Re John Jarman in Ashtead

Ive never looked at the possibility that John JARMAN was really a John CHARMAN.  There does seem to be a history of JARMANs in the area. Did you look for his baptism as JARMAN (or GARMAN?).

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 September 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin

Thanks for your reply. I already have William's will. I was not however aware of William's marriage to Ann Ward in 1769. Where did this take place? It fits nicely with what I have. The Epsom William married twice - 1st to Ann Ward? who was buried in Epsom in 1802 aged 57, and then later in 1802 in London to Ann Young who was buried in Epsom in 1818 aged 78.  William's eldest son John was buried in Epsom in 1819 aged 49 (I have his will). He was not bapt in Epsom and is probably the John bapt 1770 in Great Bookham, son of William and Ann.

William of Epsom had a son Francis (will dated 1846)  and a grandson Francis, and the William of Warnham had a brother Francis, so I am still wondering whether they are one and the same.

Brian