Author Topic: Church history - Llanfrynach  (Read 5860 times)

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church history - Llanfrynach
« on: Tuesday 17 January 06 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Helpers

St Brynach (Church of Wales), Llanfrynach is a victoria church rebuilt in 1885, with a 15c tower. As a lay speaker myself, I would like to know who was preaching to my grand parents, great grandparents. Between 1800-1900.
These ministers would be the men that baptisted, married, and buied my family members. Many of my family (WALTERS) grave stones are laid against the walls of the church at my last visit a few years ago
So what are the names of these men? The time they spent at that church? I am looking more at the people of the church, and not the history of the building (I have some of that already).

Also during this time my family members where carpenters in the village, a village of about 350-450, even less today. They are know to have made coffins for the village, and may have become the local undertakers, or at least helped.
May have done some of the rebuilding of the church or repairs.

This may be a new research for some people, but remember Wales was once a very religious area, when ALL the village would go to the church, so these men spoke weekly to your family, and knew them well.

Can anyone help?

David
Wales.
Walters, James, Evans, Tebbutt, Bartle.

Offline rdenann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CHURCH HISTORY - LLANFRYNACH
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hello David Walters, I've just noticed your post of January 2007 and can confirm that the Walters family were wheelwrights, carpenters,builders and undertakers in Llanfrynach from the early 1900s.  The business started by William Walters and trading as William Walters Llanfrynach,after his days it became Walters Brothers Llanfrynach and thus it was when I started work as an apprentice carpenter in July 1945.  I knew all of the family well from the early 1930s and may well have some of the info you seek, if you pick up this reply let me know if I can help.

Den Rees

Offline DAVID WALTERS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Church history - Llanfrynach
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 22:16 BST (UK) »
Dear Den

It is very nice to hear from you, more so that you knew the walters family and worked for them. I would love to know more about the family and their lives.
William Walters had a brother named Morgan born in 1856, He married a Mary Havard from Talgarth in 1879 and after their first son was born in 1879 at Llanfynach they soon moved to Pengam, Monmouth. Later in 1884 their had a second son David John Walters (my name sake), then in 1888 Walter Thomas Walters was born, my grand father.
I have been up to see the village and grave yard at Llanfrynach, and would like to know more of the family if you can help? My e-mail is (*), or you can use roots chat. I live at Stoke-on-Trent at this time, so too far to spend much time in Llanfrynach.

Hoping to hear from you
David

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Wales.
Walters, James, Evans, Tebbutt, Bartle.

Offline MeGeeDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Church history - Llanfrynach
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hallo
This is a very old post but maybe someone is still reading it. I am looking for information about the Aubrey/awbrey family living in cwmorgwm between 1775 and still there in the 1911 census. I am hoping that someone may be able to look if there is a grave stone for anyof the Aubreys, but Meredith Awbrey in particular who died in 1817.
I look forward to hearing from anyone.