Author Topic: Williamson  (Read 61904 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williamson
« Reply #45 on: Friday 18 December 15 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Judy, did he die in Scotland? Because if so, his death certificate should tell you the names of his parents, including his mother's maiden surname.

There must be records somewhere in Ireland surely. I know his father and mother's name.

For such an early date there may not be records of his family in Ireland. You'll need to know where the family lived (parish if not actual townland) then see what church records might survive (not all records are online).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 18 December 15 13:07 GMT (UK) »
The Williamsons; my gt gt grandfather was a John Williamson who came from Ireland to Stranraer, S.W. Scotland in c1842; is my BRICKWALL. He married my gt gt Grandmother in a CATHOLIC service in 1855.

Judy, did he die in Scotland? Because if so, his death certificate should tell you the names of his parents, including his mother's maiden surname.

Thank you Forfarian and Aghadowey for your continued interest in my "Brickwall". I am sure you have helped me on this site before and I greatly appreciate all the advice previously given.

Strangely enough I have never requested his death certificate. He died in Stranraer c1877. His marriage certificate from 1855 was very informative and gave me his place of birth "the north of Ireland" and his parents were John Williamson and Helen McColville.

I've visited Stranraer and discovered very friendly "cousins" but no one knows from where our John Williamson originated.

Maybe I should cross over to Larne one day and visit some Catholic churches but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 19 December 15 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Here's an old thread of yours looking for the Williamson/McConville marriage-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=219936.msg1319438#msg1319438

A few things to think about-
1) 'Helen' was probably originally Ellen in Ireland (that version of the name much more common in Ireland)
2) although they married in a Catholic ceremony it's possible that John (or even Helen) could originally been Protestant so if the church records go back to the date of the marriage might be worth checking baptisms shortly before the ceremony
3) very recently Irish Catholic parish registers have been put online but you need to search by parish (and records may not cover the date you need)
   http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 19 December 15 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for directing me to an old thread. You see I had given up with John Williamson, perhaps thinking he didn't want to be researched! That link to the Irish Parish Records could be very useful if I knew from where he came.

I had found that John had 2 living sons (entered on the marriage certificate of 1855) and was a widower. There is a John Williamson (vagrant) with a wife Margaret and 2 sons on the 1851 census living in nearby Kirkmabreck. There's no proof that these are connected but I liked to hope they were. I found a John Williamson marrying a Margaret ? on Family Search in Belfast c1830/40s but it was all very vague.

At least it encouraged me to research the Irish Potato Famine which was a terrible event.

I noticed that Christopher had helped me back then. He was a very enthusiastic contributor to Rootschat and I remember he was sadly missed when he passed away.

Thank you again for your sincere interest.

Judyx
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 19 December 15 16:59 GMT (UK) »
What were the names and ages of the 2 possible sons on 1851 census?

What age was John when he married in 1855?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 19 December 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the trouble to find all those links. I have refreshed my memory somewhat.

I now feel rather embarrassed that I had forgotten so much. It was 8 years ago in most cases though.

There are some leads there which I never followed up so the ball's in my court again!

Thanks again.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 16:41 BST (UK) »
My wife is a volunteer guide at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE). We were down there today and had a look at the Botanic Cottage which has just been painstakingly re-erected there, stone by stone, from its original location in Leith Walk, where it was threatened with demolition.

When the cottage was built in 1765 its first occupier was John Williamson, head gardener. He continued in that position for 15 years. As well as his gardening duties, Williamson was a part-time officer of Customs & Excise, at a time when smuggling was endemic all over the Scottish coast. One day in 1780 Williamson was attempting to apprehend some smugglers in Princes Street when they turned on him and beat him to death.

John Hope, Regius Keeper of the Garden, was devastated at the loss of his dear friend and colleague and set up a plaque in Williamson's memory which can still be seen on the wall of the cottage.

Harry

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Harry for that touching story. He must have been a well-loved gentleman for his friend to go to the trouble of erecting a plaque in his honour.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire