Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 27066 times)

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 December 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Oh, and you mentioned Charles John Wilson..  A lovely man by all accounts... Oh My.. What is this? He looks like my Great Great Grandfather... Do ya think that's because they are related, or did I just make all this up after spending thousands of hours and many thousands of dollars doing the research, not to mention 3 months in Hawick doing further research...  Yeah, I am sure I did it all just to connect myself with a Wilson family from Hawick, Scotland, so I could prove a connection to them...  The mind boggles.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 December 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello E.M. Wilson, I see these are your first posts on our website.

We are a friendly group of researchers here at RootsChat, and we do like to keep it that way.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 December 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Seriously, where is their marriage certificate? 
It's not on Scotland's People in the Statutory Registers or the Old Parish Records. They weren't Quakers so they're not to be found in the Quaker records.

Where is your Great, Great Grandfather's name on the passenger list traveling from Scotland to Australia? It's not there, I've already checked. No Walter Wilson was listed as a passenger on the Diadem to Australia. But, it just doesn't matter because...there is no marriage certificate.

I took you at your word when you said you were related to my family. I didn't ask for proof, I just believed you.  This is your opportunity to be a person of your word and deliver real proof, like a marriage certificate of my Walter Wilson b. 1798 and Wilhemina Bell.

As stated earlier, Wilhemina  Bell is not on the hand-drawn family tree of the late 1800's. There is a big X after Walter and Jessie Grey. So, does this mean that your baptism record shows a child born out of wedlock or that you are confused with another Walter Wilson, Cabinet Maker from Hawick? So, either the child was a bastard or you are again in the wrong Wilson family mistaking one Cabinet Maker for another. Which way is it?

You spent all this time and money researching and you didn't hire a professional geneologist before you claimed to be related to James Wilson, Economist? I figured out that you weren't related relatively quickly and without spending any money. A professional geneologist would come to the same conclusion that I have come to, you are not related to Walter Wilson b. 1798 who was the son of Walter Wilson b. 1770 who was the son of Walter Wilson b. 1712 “Handless Wat” who was the son of John Wilson. Most importantly, you are not related to James Wilson, Economist and Founder of Standard Charted Bank.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 December 18 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Well Brett, I must say that this has made for interesting reading, on a Monday morn.  :D

May I ask for the details of the arrival to Australia of your Walter?

Also, where he resided, who he married, children and where he died.

What was the name of the child you say went to NZ?

A family bible is generally a good source of information.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 December 18 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

Walter was not recorded on the ship, yet he kept a diary or day book entries for every day on the journey in 1852 which we still have. Other notable persons who travelled on the same ship are also recorded as mentioning Walter being on the journey with them.

I am not sure who you mean in relation to N.Z but James Glenny Wilson, later Sir James Glenny Wilson went to New Zealand. James' father George and Walter's father Walter were 1st cousins.

Walter headed to Victoria, Australia for the Gold Rush. He was a master baker by trade, yet oddly enough, his mates in Australia thought he was a carpenter due to his carpentry skills..  I wonder where he learnt those skills from....  Maybe, just maybe, because he grew up at 9 High Street, Hawick with a father and a grandfather who were both carpenters/cabinet makers with their workshop and lumber yard out back ;-)

;) ;)

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 December 18 01:54 GMT (UK) »
You are not related to Sir James Glenny Wilson either. You keep making these claims and you have no proof.

Your Walter Wilson would have been mentioned in Sir James Glenny Wilson's South Island Journey that he wrote to George Murray Wilson in 1873. Wouldn't he have mentioned that he had a cousin that he was going to swing by and say hello to? They never met because they're not in the same family.

You can't answer the question of the marriage certificate because one does not exist, therefore you do not exist in my family tree.

Aside from not having any valid proof, you are not one of my Wilsons because your line is not mentioned in the family papers - anywhere. All the other branches of the tree are discussed extensively. 

There was no baker in the family. Which family are you referring to?  Did Walter Wilson, cabinet maker bake pastries too and then teach his imaginary son how to bake? We both know he didn't.  We both know that there was no marriage.  We both know that there is no connection. You are not related to Sir James Glenny Wilson, M.P. and you are not related to James Wilson, Esq. Founder of the Economist Magazine and Standard Chartered Bank. 

Nobody went to Australia. They went to New Zealand and established Ngaio Station in New Zealand.

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 December 18 02:42 GMT (UK) »
En route to Australia on the ship "Diadem". An extract as transcribed from Walter Wilson's extensive diary, by my great aunt.

July 8, 1852

Still in Plymouth Sound.  We are making final arrangements for voyage.  Weather quite as warm and sultry as we anticipate meeting with in Australia.  Sick at heart wishing to depart, and feel it tiresome in being detained so long. 

The passengers in good working order for voyage, as regards berths, Messes, etc.  We expect to sail soon.  Have addressed letters to my father in Hawick and Mr Lewis Bookseller, John Brydon Merchant, and Andrew Inglis, Mason as the last I will write within sight of my dear Native Land – hence, I take this favourable opportunity of saying a farewell to home and friends, under circumstance so extremely peculiar that I am forced to mark this as an era in my existence rarely met or encountered in the lot of one out of a thousand of my fellow creatures. 

If I have acted rashly or injudiciously in any point, I pray god I may be forgiven now, and not carry with me to the land of my intended sojourn, as unrepentant and an unforgiven soul.
9 o’clock, evening.  I ask God’s blessing upon our voyage – while the crew weigh anchor to set sail.  May our vessel speed, and the wind waft us thither in safety.

My friend and cabin mate, Thomas Wood, from Galashiels, and self, having finished a letter to James Scott of Selkirk to be sent by the owners of the vessel on going ashore – go on deck to join in the cheers given by the passengers at our departure.  One cheer more, and we are off upon our deep sea track. 

Little regret seems to hang about the hearts of the company, as all and sundry join with their lungs to commemorate the event a loud huzzas that threaten to rend the vessel. 

Scarcely a breath of air floats to fill the canvas, and the ship slowly ventures over the barrier of the bay out into the open sea – the calm and placid waters all but asleep under the gaze of a myriad brilliant stars, coquetting upon the brow of every waving ripple that wits upon the advancing steps of our noble barque. 

All aboard in good health – except one lady who being announced to be unwell, the company voluntarily left the poop, while nearly all turned in to rest for the night, at 12 o’clock p.m.

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 December 18 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Whatever...

Which notable people mentioned Walter being on the ship? What are their names? 

He wasn't on the passenger list. Are you now saying he was a stowaway? I recall the Australian official at the Victoria records office responding that there was no connection to my Wilson's of Hawick.

Who taught him to be a baker?

Who did he live with in Hawick?

Why isn't his birth certificate on Scotland's People?

And, the basic question which would answer it all  Where is the Marriage Certificate between my Walter Wilson b. 1798 and Wilhemina Bell?????????????

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 December 18 02:50 GMT (UK) »
I honestly have better things to do Elsie Marie...  I have mountains of information. Give it a rest, or get your male cousin to take a Y-DNA test ;-)  :D