Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 27073 times)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scotish birth question
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 22:45 BST (UK) »
Walter was married twice second wife was a janet grieve

walter a t and janet kerr amos were 1st cousins

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 July 13 04:34 BST (UK) »
I corrected the death date of Walter Wilson to 1795.. Sorry, I had typed it as 1995 ;-)

Hi StintonLomas and others,

Walter Wilson 1712 -  1795 AKA "Haunless Wat" or "Handless Wat" of Hawick is my G G G G G Grandfather, not just at a guess but through evidence from birth records, marriage records, death records, wills etc etc.

@StintonLomas, I very much liked the comment that he was quite a character or personality in his day.

I also believe that in the Pioneers and Workers Room at the Borders Textile TowerHouse in Hawick, there is a foldable yard stick, or measuring stick on display there, with the inscription "Walter Wilson 1734". His son's did quite well for themselves also and I am now fairly up to speed with them, but I would love to see any further information on "Handless Wat", funny or factual.

I would also like to know more on his parents whom I believe to be John Wilson circa 1685 and Margaret Crow of Branxholme a few miles south west of Hawick.

If you can help in any way, it would be most appreciated. My father who is 80 and some other elderly relatives are enjoying all the history I am digging up for them, and my father (not in good health himself) has been knocked for a 6 after the death of my older brother last week, so I fear he has not long to go. So it would be nice to get as much info as possible for him before he passes to the other side ;-)

Thanks in advance

Brett Wilson

Happy to provide contact details if I am able to do so in this forum or by private message!

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Please note that Brett Wilson is 100% not related to Walter Wilson born 1798 who only had one female child, Jessie. Brett may be related to the Walter Wilson of 1821 but he is not part of the William Wilson manufacturing family which includes many notable figures, i.e. James Wilson, Founder of the Economist who is my Great, Great, Great, Great Uncle. Brett needs to get his facts and his documents straight before making these incorrect claims.

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 December 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Elsie Marie Wilson,

Not that anyone is reading much here, but stalking and making odd claims is just making you look silly. I forwarded your email to the various folk that manage the historic records in Hawick and they had a bit of a giggle.

You see, I have a family bible from the 1800's, baptism records, interviews from the day...  Not to mention DNA matches..  So ...  Mmmm...  Jessie Wilson is mentioned in the Bible notes too. Not to mention my Great Great Grandfather's letters between he and his father "Walter Wilson 1798-1862" and much much more.

P.S. Did you find out about your Great Uncle? Gordon Cummins.. An interesting cat.

https://www.findersinternational.co.uk   Buona Notte

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 December 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Then you won't  mind sharing which family member's DNA you match and your valid proof that your Great, Great, Grandfather was related to Walter Wilson of Hawick b. 1798. How do you prove the connection from your Australian Grandfather with the name Wilson to my Walter Wilson of 1798?

Walter Wilson and Jessie Grey only had one child. In fact, there is a big X marked after that on the family tree.  What are you claiming exactly and what is your proof, aside from a nice coin?

You see, as you already know Brett Maximutt, unlike you I was born in Scotland and I can prove who all of my ancestors were and how they are related to me with birth certificates, marriage certificates, and death certificates. You know, link after link, connection after direct connection. The way it's supposed to work.  You're making quantum leaps from Australia to Scotland out of thin air.

I don't advertise that I am related to famous people, I just am related to famous family members and I don't feel the need to brag about it to everybody I meet.  You see, that was one of the clues that gave you away.  Nobody in my Wilson Family was a braggard.  It just struck me in a strange way that you have blasted the web stating your false connection to James Wilson, Economist repeatedly and because of you, I have researched the family tree and I now know the truth. 

The Walter Wilson b. 1798 had one female child, Jessie who married George Hobkirk on 11 Jan 1849 and had no children as per 1921 biography in Charles Wilson’s article in Hawick.

So, the onus is on you to prove who you are.  As far as I am concerned you are not a member of the family, no matter how many "friends" you convince in Hawick.

Sorry, go attach yourself to another family with family members who won't catch you in a lie. Go be a Brydon.  You probably thought all of James Wilson's relatives were dead and nobody would care.  I care and I have found you out. Prove me wrong with documents not BS, I dare you.

Have a nice life, sorry you can't claim you're James' descendant anymore. You had a good run.  It's over now.  And all your friends now know you are an imposter and that you lied to them. Just imagine for a moment, how hurt I was to find out that you were not who you said you were and that you had absolutely no proof whatsoever of your claim to be related to James Wilson and further, that I had wasted my time.  I also shared with you valuable family documents, photos and information that I would otherwise not have given if you had told me the truth from the beginning.  You deceived me and others.  I was genuinely happy to know you and to know that you were a part of the family.  You lied to me and to your contacts in Hawick...and all over the web where you bragged that you were related to James Wilson, Founder of the Economist Magazine and Standard Chartered Bank.  You're not!

There were many clues, just so you know.  Why is it that you never offered to get me in touch with Tony Wilson who is a close relative of mine? His father was at Pamela's Wedding with my Grandfather, Dennis.  They were cousins.  Tony Wilson is my real cousin not a fake 6th cousin like you.  Why did you never offer me his email? Why didn't you want me to talk to Michael? 

As for dear Aunt Marjorie, it never came up.  I suppose that was because I was under 9 years old when we used to visit her and her Sister Freda in their West Hempstead home.  When my parents and I went up to London to visit she served those little sausage rolls and other mini hors d'oeuvres in her old age.  We went up to see her regularly.  She also wrote to me frequently as to her many outings with friends to various exhibits and social functions in London.  They must not have minded that her husband was a murderer.  When she was much older she had trouble with her arm and was bothered by it.  She also had an adopted child which she corresponded with. 

That said, I guess Gordon's thing was all his and I'm sure she must have distanced herself from him.  You never know how people are going to turn out before you're involved with them.  If you did, you'd never talk to anybody.  There are also people who fake being good when they're not - I'm sure you can relate.  How can you really know until you hang around them for a while and then evaluate the hot garbage that comes out of their mouths.  But, thanks for smugly delivering the bad news. 

I have lovely memories of Aunt Marjorie and she and Freda were wonderful people as was their other Sister, My Grandmother Doris.  They all had something that I noticed was missing from my interactions with you, class.

It still doesn't make you a part of the family all because you're researching the Wilson Family to which you do not belong. Feel free to have any of your Hawick friends contact me in your defense.  I'd like to have a giggle too.

You're worried aren't you? You're all about the truth remember? If you told the truth, you'd have nothing to worry about.  And...I'm sure everybody reads this blog otherwise you wouldn't have responded :-)

P.S.  I found John, Michael's Brother and he's still alive.  Bye!

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 December 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Baptism (06 April 1823) - Father, Walter Wilson (Hawick) Cabinet Maker ;-) - You will need to navigate this image to see further to the right where it says HAWICK

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 December 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh My, and look at the family resemblance coming through from Walter Wilson 1798-1862 down my Wilson line...

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 December 18 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I must have had a time machine.... My Great Great Grandfather must been forced by me to insribe this in his bible he carried to Australia from Scotland.

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 December 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Oh, and what is this also inscribed in Walter's bible...  His sister Jessie who married George Hobkirk ;-)