Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 26744 times)

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 05:46 GMT (UK) »
No, I have not read any of it. I have done my own research through family books in private circulation, private family trees, and family members. However, I do keep coming across Brett's false claims whenever I research James Wilson, Economist and Founder of Standard Chartered Bank. It's outrageous!

I wouldn't even have started researching the family if it wasn't for coming across an imposter.

That is not my concern.  I was not concerned to uncover the Wilson family and how great they were, my interest is solely that somebody is perpetuating a lie. 

Why is it not a MAJOR issue that someone is lying? Does anyone have a moral compass?
I've made my point multiple times.  I guess I'm just old fashioned and I am very concerned that there was no legitimate birth.  I am even more concerned that nobody can prove an illegitimate birth connection.  So, I guess I'm alone in having high standards.  So be it. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 05:48 GMT (UK) »
The Southern Reporter, Selkirk Scotland, Wed Dec 31, 1925, page 4
HAWICK
Handsome Gift
Sir James Glenny Wilson of Bulls, New Zealand, who belongs to Hawick, has sent a contribution of £20 to be distributed in gifts of coal to the deserving poor of his native town.

:)  That's sorted one issue !  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 05:55 GMT (UK) »
No, I have not read any of it. I have done my own research through family books in private circulation, private family trees, and family members. However, I do keep coming across Brett's false claims whenever I research James Wilson, Economist and Founder of Standard Chartered Bank. It's outrageous!

I wouldn't even have started researching the family if it wasn't for coming across an imposter.

That is not my concern.  I was not concerned to uncover the Wilson family and how great they were, my interest is solely that somebody is perpetuating a lie. 

Why is it not a MAJOR issue that someone is lying? Does anyone have a moral compass?
I've made my point multiple times.  I guess I'm just old fashioned and I am very concerned that there was no legitimate birth.  I am even more concerned that nobody can prove an illegitimate birth connection.  So, I guess I'm alone in having high standards.  So be it.

E.M.  Genealogy is not about proving legitimacy of birth.  Genealogy is not a moral compass.   :)  Pedigrees can be useful pointers, but  until IVF came along, in the 1970s, I think it is doubtful that anyone could actually prove who fathered any baby - legitimately or otherwise.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 06:05 GMT (UK) »
That's lovely,  I didn't know that.

I did know that the Wilson's erected the first public laundry for the people in Hawick.

As a whole, they had certain qualities that made them inherently good.

I found it interesting that the town of Hawick tried to get them to pay a lot more than their fair share of water fees and they even went to court over it.  Evil doesn't take a holiday. The Wilson's prevailed with the help of several magistrates. The Wilson's employed many townspeople, drove industry, built a public laundry, a public chapel and the town wanted to bill them more than other people for their water usage.

Genealogy is all about who fathered who and who claimed who as their son or daughter.  Even if there was an illegitimate birth, the father is the person who claims the child.  The father is the person who stands up and takes responsibility for a child.  That is what a father does.  A man who reproduces and then doesn't claim the kid is not a real father, or a real man.  An illegitimate child is that of a union that is not blessed. Don't you see that in real life? Do you not see unwed mothers and children having children in Hawick? They are not blessed.  Anyway, I can't get into it.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 06:34 GMT (UK) »
The NZ paper listing Hawick as being in England. It's a misprint. Sir James Glenny Wilson was there 20 years after Brett's Great Great Grandfather was there.  No mention of these two meeting in Australia...because it didn't happen. Brett's Great Great Grandfather was in Castlemaine as a Gold Rush pioneer digging through mud. Sir James Glenny was very comfortable let's say and married a woman whose father owned 53,000 acres of New Zealand land.  Worlds apart.

You write "The only issue I see is linking him to those you call ‘your’ ancestors in Hawick." That is the issue. Brett has linked himself to My ancestors without any proof, without making the connection.  Not even the illegitimate connection.  I call them "my" ancestors because that is a fact, that is the truth and it can not be changed or interpreted, or opined and it's all laid out on Scotland's People for anyone to see and it is in my family tree.

No, Brett did not provide me with the bible listings.

There are a lot of "ifs" here, aren't there?

If Jessie had illegitimate half-brothers and half-sisters and if they are related as Brett claims but can not prove, Walter still would not have been associating with his bastard cousin (if Brett's Great Great Grandfather was actually the cousin of Sir James Glenny  Wilson), Sir James Glenny Wilson because James was a Quaker with high moral standards from a family with high moral standards. They were Quakers that didn't believe in war, debt and being louses creating children out of wedlock - you follow me here? If you want to be louse, that's fine but you can't be both a louse and a Quaker being part of a Quaker family or be a Quaker and hang around louses. My family also made the Quaker Chapel in Hawick - so they were really into the Quaker lifestyle all the way.  There is no connection here.

EM...You may not be aware but at RChat when we modify our postz we note it...  and I gather you modified the final paragraph after I had quoted it so your modification is not showing up in my post # 53

JM

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 13 December 18 03:55 GMT (UK) »
JM,

I don't know what I modified, especially since it didn't take.

But after reviewing what I wrote there is a mistake.  To correct it, I meant to say the following:

If Jessie had illegitimate half-brothers and half-sisters and if they are related as Brett claims but can not prove, Brett's Great Great Grandfather still would not have been associating with his alleged cousin, Sir James Glenny Wilson because James was a Quaker with high moral standards from a family with high moral standards. I hope that makes better sense.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 13 December 18 06:46 GMT (UK) »
JM,

I don't know what I modified, especially since it didn't take.

But after reviewing what I wrote there is a mistake.  To correct it, I meant to say the following:

If Jessie had illegitimate half-brothers and half-sisters and if they are related as Brett claims but can not prove, Brett's Great Great Grandfather still would not have been associating with his alleged cousin, Sir James Glenny Wilson because James was a Quaker with high moral standards from a family with high moral standards. I hope that makes better sense.

EM, please take care and read back through this entire thread.  You have made some very strong statements that can be tested for truthfulness.  You claim the high ground on your moral compass.    You are now saying that you did not modify your own post.

I have already quoted the original of your post, and that same post, modified.

The final paragraph was originally :  If Jessie had illegitimate half-brothers and half-sisters and if they are related as Brett claims but can not prove, Walter still would not have been associating with his bastard cousin (if Brett's Great Great Grandfather was actually the cousin of Sir James Glenny  Wilson), Sir James Glenny Wilson because James was a Quaker with high moral standards from a family with high moral standards. They were Quakers that didn't believe in war, debt and being louses creating children out of wedlock - you follow me here? It just doesn't make sense.  If it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck, guess what - It's a duck!  There is no connection here.

as per MY QUOTE some 35 or so minutes after your post. 

Some time later, you then modified it to: If Jessie had illegitimate half-brothers and half-sisters and if they are related as Brett claims but can not prove, Walter still would not have been associating with his bastard cousin (if Brett's Great Great Grandfather was actually the cousin of Sir James Glenny  Wilson), Sir James Glenny Wilson because James was a Quaker with high moral standards from a family with high moral standards. They were Quakers that didn't believe in war, debt and being louses creating children out of wedlock - you follow me here? If you want to be louse, that's fine but you can't be both a louse and a Quaker being part of a Quaker family or be a Quaker and hang around louses. My family also made the Quaker Chapel in Hawick - so they were really into the Quaker lifestyle all the way. There is no connection here.

I have highlighted a number of differences ....

And now you seem to be saying you should have written that paragraph as:

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Somebody might like this .Squabbling doesn't help. I recorded this at Hobkirk cemetery .There are numerous Turnbulls and Amos there.Hope the photo come out readable.
121 In memory of JANNET K. AMOS wife of WALTER A.
TURNBULL who died at Bonchester Bridge 19th June 1896 aged
54yrs and the above WALTER AMOS TURNBULL who died 9th
November 1916 aged 66yrs.

turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders