Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 27068 times)

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 17 January 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Forget it!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 17 January 19 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Why isn't his birth certificate on Scotland's People?
And, the basic question which would answer it all  Where is the Marriage Certificate between my Walter Wilson b. 1798 and Wilhemina Bell?????????????
There is no marriage certificate because marriage certificates did not exist before 1 January 1855.

Also the absence of a record of an event does NOT mean that the event did not take place. It is estimated that around a third of baptisms in the early 19th century either were not recorded, or if they were, the records have not survived. The further back you get, the patchier the records get.

Scotland's People has all the post-1855 statutory civil records, all of the surviving Church of Scotland Registers and Roman Catholic records, and most of the Secession and Free Churches' records. It does not have any records of the Episcopal Church.

The only possible Walter Wilson that is recorded on Scotland's People that fits in with Walter Wilson's life span is the one born in 1859 and he died at age 9.  And that would have meant that his alleged father, died when he was three years old in 1862.
Just because there is only one possible candidate in the index at SP does NOT means that (s)he was in fact the only one. There is always a possibility that there was another person whose baptism and/or marriage records have not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 17 January 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »
EM Wilson I have just sent you a pm regarding your posting on this topic.

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 17 January 19 20:22 GMT (UK) »
See attached family tree snapshot.  The line is discontinued.  There were no additional children. 

Brett Wilson is not part of the Wilson Family and he is not the Cousin (five times removed) of James Wilson, Economist.

He has not provided the bible listings or any documents to the contrary.  He needs to rescind his false claims.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 17 January 19 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I very much doubt that that X on that chart was put there at the same time as the rest of the information. It looks to me as if it has been added later. In fact it looks like a felt pen or crayon rather than a pen nib. I don't think it is safe to assume that it is part of the original information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 17 January 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Forfarian's post.

Also, may I mention that there's an excellent set of Resources provided by RootsChat at the following live link.  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=506855.0

ADD
Including a live link for this : https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ROX/Hawick/wilson 

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ROX/Hawick/table   .... which is a transcribed set of records kept by a Howick solicitor named  James WILSON - unofficial register of 408 deaths in the Hawick area 1825-1862 .... the list was transcribed back in 1915 by a Hawick Society,  so many years before anyone posting on this thread was born....  :)  There is a note there reminding the readers that ' In total 408 deaths were recorded, only a fraction of those in the Hawick area at this time'

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 17 January 19 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is an accurate assessment.  The felt tip pen was invented in the 1960's and the family member who published the tree which was hand drawn one hundred years prior, must have added the mark in the early 1970's when she published the family tree (see tree in previous post).

Thank you for the links.  Fair warning though, the Hawick Archaeological Society may not be very accurate since they inducted Brett Wilson as a lifetime member without verifying his claims to my Wilson Family and James Wilson, Founder of the Economist and Standard Chartered Bank. They have also allowed him to boast his fake relationship to James Wilson, Economist on their website.

“ The Transactions from the Hawick Archaeological Society have been a most valuable resource for me in tracing my ancestors that stemmed from Hawick and the surrounding countryside, from my GGGGGG Grandparents from Branxholme Town to the likes of my ancestor James Wilson, the founder of the "Economist" magazine from Hawick.” -BRETT JAMES WILSON CEO - Technology Company

http://hawickhistory.scot/members/

Can we move on here?  You're all very knowledgeable and it is impressive but the facts remain don't they.  Brett Wilson is not related to James Wilson, Economist.  This is a false claim as per my family tree image. 

Further, John Wilson had Walter Wilson (the handless wat) b. 1712
The handless wat had Walter "Uncle Watty" Wilson, Cabinet Maker b. 1770
Uncle Watty had Walter "Cousin Wattie" Wilson, Cabinet Maker b. 1798-1862

Cousin Wattie married Jessie Grey. He didn't marry anybody else.  He didn't produce
any other children (Brett's Grandfather). It never happened. Sorry.

Their child was Jessie Wilson who married Hobkirk 11 Jan 1849 in Hawick. They had no children.
The line ended as per the "X" on the tree.

Brett Wilson is not related to James Wilson, Economist. Brett belongs to another Wilson family from Australia.  There is no connection here. He needs to stop claiming he's related to James Wilson.  He is NOT.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 17 January 19 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is an accurate assessment.  The felt tip pen was invented in the 1960's and the family member who published the tree which was hand drawn one hundred years prior, must have added the mark in the early 1970's when she published the family tree (see tree in previous post).

Thank you for the links.  Fair warning though, the Hawick Archaeological Society may not be very accurate since they inducted Brett Wilson as a lifetime member without verifying his claims to my Wilson Family and James Wilson, Founder of the Economist and Standard Chartered Bank.

Can we move on here?  You're all very knowledgeable and it is impressive but the facts remain don't they.  Brett Wilson is not related to James Wilson, Economist.  This is a false claim as per my family tree image. 

Further, John Wilson had Walter Wilson (the handless wat) b. 1712
The handless wat had Walter "Uncle Watty" Wilson, Cabinet Maker b. 1770
Uncle Watty had Walter "Cousin Wattie" Wilson, Cabinet Maker b. 1798-1862

Cousin Wattie married Jessie Grey. He didn't marry anybody else.  He didn't produce
any other children (Brett's Grandfather). It never happened. Sorry.

Their child was Jessie Wilson who married Hobkirk 11 Jan 1849 in Hawick. They had no children.
The line ended as per the "X" on the tree.

Brett Wilson is not related to James Wilson, Economist. Brett belongs to another Wilson family from Australia.  There is no connection here. He needs to stop claiming he's related to James Wilson.  He is NOT.

Thank you for providing your perspective.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 17 January 19 23:37 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome JM.