Author Topic: Creevey/Creevy/Creavey  (Read 8338 times)

Offline elaine36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Creevey/Creevy/Creavey
« on: Saturday 18 September 04 13:20 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Creevey family who were in the Manchester/Salford/Gorton area from around the 1840's.  In particular I am looking for any information on my gt gt grandmother Mary Ann Creevey born c1828, her father was John Creevey and she may have 2 sisters Martha and Ann and a brother Michael.

I am trying to trace where in Ireland they originated from and any information would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards
Elaine

Mary Ann married John  Halliwell/Helliwell in 1849 and their children were Ann Jane, Emma, Martha, John and Mary Ann.

Offline Terry Boston-Marsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Creevey/Creevy/Creavey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 October 04 13:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Elaine,
My great grandmother Ellen Creevy was born in Kilbeggan, Co.Westmeath (unconfirmed at present).
There were a lot of Creevys' in this area.
Have you looked at the Creevy website?
http://www.creevyb.freeserve.co.uk/
Hope this helps.
Regards
Terry Boston-Marsh

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 00:00 BST (UK) »
According to my book of Irish surnames the name Creevy is a variant of (Mac)Greevy from Connacht, Roscommon
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elaine36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 November 04 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information.  I have found Barry Creevy's website and it is really helpful.

Thank you for giving me Roscommon connection regarding the Creevy surname.  I have found Luke Creevey born in 1821 in Roscommon and living in St Helens on the 1881 census and wonder if he is any relation to the Creevey family in Manchester
Kind regards
Elaine

Offline Mandy P

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Although I have no further information on your query.  My great great grandmother is Martha Helliwell as mentioned.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,
Would you have any other info on Mary? A death cert? I ask as in Ireland the name can be Creevey/McCreevy or Greevey/McGreevy. Many Irish dropped the Mc when they moved to England trying to distance themselves from being Irish. I can look further if you have anything else in parish registers etc if you have other info. Kim

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,
Would you have any other info on Mary? A death cert? I ask as in Ireland the name can be Creevey/McCreevy or Greevey/McGreevy. Many Irish dropped the Mc when they moved to England trying to distance themselves from being Irish. I can look further if you have anything else in parish registers etc if you have other info. Kim

This is a seventeen year old thread and the OP was last online here in August 2006.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo