Author Topic: Queensland Marriage Lookup  (Read 6251 times)

Offline wawa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Queensland Marriage Lookup
« on: Saturday 21 January 06 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Hoping someone can lookup the marriage of Thomas William Fairbanks and Glady's Christine Gray, they where my grandparents and although they had been together forever there was never a marriage certificate found and doubt about whether they were legally married, would love to know, some relatives are sure they married sometime around 1944 in Brisbane. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Nari
Fairbanks Family - Staffordshire and Derbyshire Area
Crickmore Family - Salford and Altrincham Area

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Queensland Marriage Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 06 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nari

The Qld BDM CDs only go to 1914. Marriages are available on microfiche until (I think) 1939 only. These are at LDS centres, libraries, Family history associations etc throughout Australia.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nari,
Another glimer of hope: There are indexes (produced by the Genealogical Society of Queensland, I think) for marriages in some Catholic churches in and near Brisbane for that time period. Were your grandparents Catholic? Do you know what suburb(s) they lived in?
Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN

Offline wawa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your help, on there burial details they are both down as Anglican, I'm not sure about where they were living at the time of the marriage, although I do know they were living in Towoomba in 1948, I think I'm just going to have to send for the certificate and give them a time frame to look and hopefully find something that way.

Cheers
Nari

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 06 23:20 GMT (UK) »
There is a WWII record for THomas William Fairbanks but the details seem a little sparse - apart ffrom his army number his details are "unknown"

Search at www.naa.gov.au

Trish

Offline wawa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 06 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thanks for that, already recieved the war records from the Archives for Thomas, interesting to say the least but nothing to help with my marriage question.

Cheers
Nari

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 06 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi nari

Have you found the death of Thomas? I noticed there is someone of the same name buried at Toowoomba (His father?). The death certificate should say when/where married - unless of couse, it has been omitted. Headstone/memorial may also give some inkling if anything is written on same.

If you have a date of death I could check for a funeral notice - when I get to the library - that seems to be taking me longer than getting to Pinaroo - I seem to be having a lazy few months  ;D

I shall resolve to go to the library next week.

Trish

Offline wawa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 January 06 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I have got Thomas's burial details, he is buried in Yeppoon, same grave as his wife, no headstone, I don't have his death certificate but I do have his wife's and have just decided to pull it out again to check and that's where I am now confused, on Nana's death certificate, it doesn't give a year just say's married Brisbane, Qld, 21 years, Thomas William Fairbanks, now the 21 years is that how long they were married for, if so that doesn't make sense, if they married in 1944, pop died 1989, nana died 1999 then obviously they where married longer than 21 years, now it could me that Nana was 21 years old which also doesn't make sense as pop was 9 years younger than nana which would have made him 12 or is it that pop was 21 years old, I'm so confused I'm not sure what I'm even saying.

As for the one you found in Toowoomba, I wish it was his father, pop's father disappeard around 1950 never to be heard of again and I'm unable to find him, do you have the details of the one you found.

Cheers
Nari

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 January 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nari

Just had to get a certificate to check the headings & not as organised as you - took me awhile to find a Qld Death (My family are all NSW - Tis the husband who is a Qld'er). The 21 is, in fact Age at marriage. So either your Pop was 12 or as I used to tell my daughter "All married ladies are 21".

Your Nana's details would presumably have been given by a child - she would have supplied her husbands details, so perhaps that would make his certificate more accurate. Either way, the informant may not have known, or not told the truth. I would love to lie on my death certificate to confuse the next generation  ;D - Add a few extra children perhaps!

Meanwhile - Toowomba is online here
http://tcc.toowoomba.qld.gov.au/index.php?option=com_gravefinder&Itemid=46

Fairbanks  Thomas William    41  M 04/08/1906 05/08/1906  BAP 1  5  5  Unknown  E922 R916

Also Hanna Eliza  Fairbanks  74  F 29/05/1942 01/06/1942  in the same grave

1906 is somewhat earlier than 1950 Sorry

Trish