Author Topic: Timmons / Timmins, Co Wexford  (Read 7890 times)

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Timmons / Timmins, Co Wexford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 December 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Just stumbled upon this thread.  The Timmons we are researching hail from New Ross, County Wexford in Ireland and at least one of the offsprint, Charles Francis Timmons (usually known by Francis) moved to Wales at some point before 1890 and married a local girl Margaret Mary Long (whose parents were from County Cork, Ireland).  The Irish community in Glamorgan must have been quite a strong close knit one as the marital union between C Francis Timmons and Margaret led to at least 9 children, most of whom married Irishmen living and working in Glamorgan.

I see from the thread that there is Enniscorthy / Wexford links and do Wonder if there is some kind of tie in somewhere.  To date, we haven't identified C Francis Timmons parents (haven't ordered his marriage cert yet).

Will keep an eye and a keen ear out for more Timmons related threads however...

Best wishes

Kenny and Jane
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 December 10 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny and Jane,

Family Search pilot has a possible for your man:

Charles Francis Timmins birth 12 Sept 1872 New Ross
Parents Martin Timmins and Catherine Murphy

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 December 10 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

I think you may have found the parents ! Brilliant stuff. Thanks.

Looking at the children I know Charles Francis Timmons had with Margaret Mary Long, the names of their children seem to marrying up with the grandparents: First child was a daughter and was named Catherine Ellen Timmons (paternal and maternal grandmothers).  First 2 sons follow naming tradition named after grandfathers John and Martin !

Good work, Heywood.

Bets wishes and have a great 2011.

Jane and Kenny
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline DominicOC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 October 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Hoping that you will pick up on this message after so much time has elapsed but I am also descended from Charles Francis Timmons (son of Martin Timmons) via his daughter, Elizabeth Timmons, who married a young Cornish man, (surname Tonkin) working in the Welsh mines. They moved to Cornwall with a young family and I descend from them through their daughter, Margaret Tonkin who married my paternal grandfather Kenneth Basher. My Dad ended up marrying an Irish girl and I grew up in Ireland.

If this message reaches you it would be interesting to know what happened to the other descendants of Charles (Francis) and Margaret Timmons (I use the version with the 'o' as this is what appears on my Grt-granny's birthcert).

Regards,

Dominic