Author Topic: John or Ballantyne family  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John or Ballantyne family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 18:33 BST (UK) »
I have a note of Elizabeth and James' marriage, with accompanying details of their respective parents - but I expect you have that already.  Her father was James Mungall, a blacksmith of Harthill - I think there were several generations of Mungall blacksmiths there.  If it is of any interest, I can look up my Mungall files - the Mungall family generally were an obsession of mine for several years as my grandmother had that name.

Diana

Offline ed_sue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 June 06 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana

This is great as I don't have much about Elizabeth Mungall's parents at all, except the names I was given by my mother.  It would be interesting to have a bit more information.  Thank you, I would appreciate it very much.  I am new at this so I am not sure how to continue further contact or share information.  Have you any suggestions? ::)

Regards,
Sue

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 June 06 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
Elizabeth Mungall married March 21 1873 at Shotts Manse.  She was aged 19, from Harthill, and a dress maker.  Her father was James Mungall, blacksmith, and her mother was  Margaret Mungall or Binnie.  I don't appear to have a note of Elizabeth's birth and can't remember off hand when Scottish birth registration started.  If you haven't already done so, have a look at the online site, Scotland's People.  People with Mungall connections have a Yahoo website and if you are interested, I can put you in touch with the organiser.

Diana

Offline ed_sue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 June 06 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana,

Thanks, this has been a great help.  Do you know the website address for the Mungall connections?  Then I could look it up.

Many thanks,
Sue

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 June 06 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I'll email Karin, the organiser, and ask her what to do and then come back to you.

Diana

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 June 06 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
I've found your family tree!  James Mungall married Margaret Binnie 14/5/1837.  He was the oldest son of Henry Mungall and Christina Jackand they married in 1810.  He in turn was eldest son of Henry Mungall of Babbithill, in Slamannan, Stirlingshire and he was married to Jean Grindlay 13/6/1784.  At that point the tree is stuck - no one has ever been able to progress this any further but Babbithill is a farm only a couple of miles from where my Mungall ancestors lived.   I have an enormous chart in front of me - sadly only in handwritten form since I did it years ago, but Karin may have an electronic version.  Elizabeth Ballantine or Mungall had 10 brothers and sisters - Christina, Marion, Janet, John, Margaret, Henry, James, Jane & Helen (twins) and Alexander.  If I can find you online sometime I think I can email you direct (?) and I can then give you the Yahoo group and Karin's email addresses.

Diana