Author Topic: John Haig and Agnes Hall in Duns  (Read 8844 times)

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Haig and Agnes Hall in Duns
« on: Sunday 22 January 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Help!!!I have been following John Haigs of John Haig, from Duns. In my husbands family, it seems to have been a family tradition, for John Haig to named their first son John, as far back as this, until present day.
John Haig b 1796 Duns, married to Grace White b1812 Ayton. He was a farmer in Chirnside according to his will.  I have just found in his death cert' he died 31 Aug 1856 on Murray St, I presume Duns because it was registered there. Does this street still exist?  According to the certificate he was buried in Preston.
His Parents were John Haig 1751-1801 and Agnes Hall 1756-1840. I have managed to find a Marriage for this couple 15/5/1795 in Swinton and Simprim but nothing further for Agnes. John was a tennant at Broomhill. Does anybody know anything about Agnes? I know they lived in Duns. I haven't been able to find a birth for this John Haig there? I think his parents are John Haig and Alison Miller.
Since posting this I have found an MI in Preston & Buncle graveyard. All those above are buried in the same grave. The grave started with John Haig b 1715. He is the father of John Haig b1757. Unfortunately the wife of the first John Haig is not buried there. I believe she could be Agnes Millar does anyone have them in their tree or have anything on them?
Thanks
Pam
Archbald, Atherton Boardman, Bolton, Bowdler, Brown, Carmichael, Craig, Forshaw, Gray, Haig, Hall, Hodson/Hodgson, Hogg, Hudson, Millar, Murray, Pringle, Reynolds/Wrenalls, Shuttleworth, Swarbrick, Tait, Turner, White.

Offline AKimber

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: John Haig and Agnes Hall in Duns
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 06 08:45 BST (UK) »
My Gggg grandfather was Peter Christison. His mother was Catherine Haig and he had a sister Alison. Alison married their cousin John Moffat (John Moffat's mother Margaret Haig was Catherine's sister).

John Moffat used to write to Peter Christison when Peter had moved to New Zealand. In his letters he mentions their 'aunt at Haddington' and an 'uncle Peter'. Now seeing as though Peter Christison and John Moffat are cousins through the Haig side I searched for a Peter Haig. There was a Peter Haig living in Haddington in 1841 with his wife Margaret. The letters speak of the aunt at Haddington dying and their uncle Peter then staying with his nephew (a cousin of Peter Christison and John Moffat). In the 1851 census Peter Haig is living with his nephew Thomas Haig at Legerwood.

Peter Haig died in 1856 at Legerwood. His nephew Thomas Haig died in 1884, aged 84, at Greenlaw and his parents were John Haig and Agnes Hall.

So Catherine, Margaret, Peter and John Haig must all be siblings. The only family I have found with similar children is that of John Haig and Alison Millar. There is no son Peter but a son Patrick who was christened in 1772, (if Peter Haig died 1856, aged 84, he would have been born abt. 1772) so I think Patrick was maybe known as Peter or Peter was another brother.

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 06 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi There, at last a reply. Great to hear from you. I have found out a little more since I posted this message. I think the parents of John were John Haig and Alison Millar. I know his father John Haig was born in 1715, I have a an MI of the family plot and other bits and pieces. I can't find a suitable Alison Millar though. Can you come back to me on my email address and we can exchange more.
 (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Archbald, Atherton Boardman, Bolton, Bowdler, Brown, Carmichael, Craig, Forshaw, Gray, Haig, Hall, Hodson/Hodgson, Hogg, Hudson, Millar, Murray, Pringle, Reynolds/Wrenalls, Shuttleworth, Swarbrick, Tait, Turner, White.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 July 06 10:25 BST (UK) »
1851 census Duns.
Book 5 page 15, Dunse Law.
John Haig  Head  Married  54  Farmer (213 acres employing 2 laboures)  Berwick,Duns.
Grace haig  Wife  Married  39  Farmer's Wife  Berwick,Duns.
John Haig  son  unmarried  18  Farmer's son  Berwick,Duns.
Hector Haig  son  unmarried  16  Farmer's son  Berwick,Duns.
Agnes Haig  Daughter  14  Farmer's daughter  Berwick,Duns.
Jessie Haig  Daughter  10  Scholar  Berwick,Duns.
Mary Haig  Daughter  7  Scholar  Berwick,Duns.
Robert Haig  son  5  Scholar    Berwick,Duns.
Peter Haig  son  1          Berwick,Duns.

Is this of any help, have 1841 of Duns?
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 July 06 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that census Beckey. I hadn't seen that one. It is very kind of you. I already have the 1841. I  have that family almost sorted, including death cert's, OPRs, wills etc. The John Haig married to Grace White is the son of John Haig married to Agnes Hall. It is John Haig b 1715 and his wife whom I think is Alison Millar that I would really like some more info on.
Many thanks for your trouble.
Pam

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 06 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

had a quick look through the pre 1855 M.I Berwickshire book 2, couldn't find a Alison Millar though.

My wife says that there is a Murray St at Duns and is still there, houses keep coming up for sale in the Berwickshire Advertiser, her grandparents were at Curry St.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 06 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Beckey,
I have looked for her in all 3 vols of Berwickshire MIs. I have no idea where Alison Millar disappeared to on her own. I thought as she was not buried with her husband, I may find her with a child. I found the MI for the bumper family plot in the old Preston Graveyard, with John Haig b 1715 and his son and the son's wife, John Haig and Agnes Hall. Their son and wife John Haig and Grace White. There were also a couple of others. But no wife for the first J Haig b 1715. It is very frustrating to come to a dead end like this. I know from Scotlands people OPRs that a John Haig and Alison Millar were the final John Haig couple from Duns (I suppose there may have been more but not transcribe yet.) I need concrete pieces of evidence. I am now looking straight at an ugly brick wall. At least for the time being.
Thank you so much for all your help and letting me know Murray Street still exists. I gather you live in Berwickshire. During the times of the mass exudos, it must have broken a lot of families hearts to leave such a beautiful place. My John Haig b1834 Duns, left in 1870 but they only went as far as Cheshire. Where my husband's family have deep roots. It seems from the other message here today, that some of this Haig family left for NZ. I also have contacts in Canada and America with Haigs, whom I suspect are related but haven't quite made the link yet.
Anyway many thanks,
Pam 

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam, glad to be of help, have also got the 3 books pre 1855 they come in useful.
We live in York, my wife comes from Berwick and all her family are from the Border areas, gets the newspaper eahch week, can only get back to the 1800's then we it the proverbial brick wakk,
Regards,
Barry.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Beckey,
I have one line like that, I can't back past 1836 with my Forshaws. It is really annoying to think the info must be out there somewhere. Just can't lay my hands on it. At least on line just now. I need to do some leg work again. I did make a couple of very satisfying trips to Preston Lancs about 4 years ago. Can I be of any help with your brick wall? I am a member of a couple of FH things.
Pam