Author Topic: post 1901  (Read 708 times)

Offline sooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
post 1901
« on: Sunday 19 September 04 15:21 BST (UK) »
im trying to find out what happened to my granmothers first husband GEORGE REED. i have info on him from 1901 census and marriage cert 1903 also birth cert for my aunt 1908 but im stumped as to where to go next i know my gran always told the family he left her destitute in london with 2 babies and i know she met my grandfather around 1914 but its the inbetween years i cant get ???

it seems easier to find people pre 1901 but after that im lost!!!

any suggestions?

thanks sooze 
woolmer , stephens
bocking, romford

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: post 1901
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 September 04 15:54 BST (UK) »
Did George die, leaving your gran a widow and free to marry again?  If so, you can probably find his death on 1837online.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 04 19:56 BST (UK) »
ive tried 1837online but as i dont have a year in which he died im stumped!
he was definately alive when he split with my gran.
she mentioned something about her being left destitute and that it was in the paper (local paper i guess) he was living at 18 peerless st shoreditch on the 1901 census & i know they lived at 19 shepherdess walk shoreditch in 1908 as its on my aunts birth cert. but after that nothing.

sooze
woolmer , stephens
bocking, romford

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 04 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi sooze ;D

I know from experience that this is a difficult nut to crack!

My great grandparents, George and Caroline Fisher, parted company around 1880.

Although I have been able to fully research Caroline, and the 4 chlidren, George remains a mystery.

I think I have him on the 1881 census living as a boarder in Hull - but can't really prove it. Looking for his death is a nightmare as he has such a common name and I have no idea where or when he died. I did send for a certificate of a George Fisher who died in Hull but it was not 'my' George

George is recorded on all the marriage certificates as 'alive' but, as we know, this information cannot always be trusted.

I wish you luck in your search - let me know if you have a brilliant idea which locates your George Reed - it might work for me too!

Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk