Author Topic: Dunmore  (Read 18273 times)

Offline BridgettaB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dunmore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 February 10 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin,

My great grandmother was Bridget Heneghan who was Patrick's sister.  She married James Kielty and they lived in Shanballymore, Dunmore and went on to have eight children.  One of them Mary Ellen Kiellty married Michael Flaherty (my grandparents) who settled in Rockfort, Irishtown.  They had four children, one of whom was Nora Flaherty who married Peter Collins and they lived in Cashel, Boyounagh, Glenamaddy.  I am their youngest daughter, Bridgetta.  I am currently doing a family tree on MyHeritage.com and finding it very interesting.  Do you know what Sabina Heneghan's maiden name was?  My mother will be 84 this year so her memory is n't as good as it used to be but she has helped a lot with all my info so and remembers a good bit of the Heneghan side of things.  If you let me have your e-mail address, I can send you an invite to join the family tree from MyHeritage.com.  I have just been talking to my sister who actually think she remembers your father, Denis, calling to our house when my grand-aunt, Julie Kielty, died in 1973.  She thinks he lived in Ballymoe at the time but she may be imagining this.  If you can scan in the photo of your grandmother, I'd love to see it.  My direct e-mail is (*). 

Thanks
Bridgetta ;)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Mheneghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 February 10 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brigetta,
My father Denis lived in Ballymoe,He had a Pub there until we sold in 1990 and moved to Galway city.My mom had mentioned at one point that Denis had an aunt that lived in Kilkerrin and had a store there.
Bill Heneghan was the historian in our family,unfortunetly thry have all passed.
When my father passed away in 1996,Bill came out to see me that summer.He spoke to my wife and told her the family history.Sabina Heneghan Patrick's Mother was originally from Partry in Co Mayo as was her Husband Patrick also.
Not sure when they came to Dunmore,Sabina' maiden name was also Heneghan.Partry is quite a stronghold for Heneghan's and there are still a lot  of Heneghans there today.I know that Patrick Senior worked for the local landlord there and i remember Simon another brother of Denis mentioning a Captain Martin.There is a ruin that you can see from the Heneghan house a hugh 2 story house and this was Captain House.if i remember the stroy correctly,it was the landlord that brought Denis senior to Dunmore to work for him,not sure of the year but i do know that Patrick-Bridget was born circa 1863
Please stay in touch
Martin Heneghan
Hello Martin,

My great grandmother was Bridget Heneghan who was Patrick's sister.  She married James Kielty and they lived in Shanballymore, Dunmore and went on to have eight children.  One of them Mary Ellen Kiellty married Michael Flaherty (my grandparents) who settled in Rockfort, Irishtown.  They had four children, one of whom was Nora Flaherty who married Peter Collins and they lived in Cashel, Boyounagh, Glenamaddy.  I am their youngest daughter, Bridgetta.  I am currently doing a family tree on MyHeritage.com and finding it very interesting.  Do you know what Sabina Heneghan's maiden name was?  My mother will be 84 this year so her memory is n't as good as it used to be but she has helped a lot with all my info so and remembers a good bit of the Heneghan side of things.  If you let me have your e-mail address, I can send you an invite to join the family tree from MyHeritage.com.  I have just been talking to my sister who actually think she remembers your father, Denis, calling to our house when my grand-aunt, Julie Kielty, died in 1973.  She thinks he lived in Ballymoe at the time but she may be imagining this.  If you can scan in the photo of your grandmother, I'd love to see it.  My direct e-mail is (*). 

Thanks
Bridgetta ;)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline BREEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
HI Folks

I have a Birth Certificate for my Grandmother born at louth Lodge Dunmore in 1854 ,she was called Sabina Henehan and she
DIED giving birth to my Father in Castle Street Dunmore in March 1893. I have a copy of her Death Certificate.

In the Griffiths Valuation for Dunmore 1854 there are two Farmers callled Henehan @ Heneghan.Patrick Henehan lived in LISSYBRODER  (Louth Lodge) and on the evidence .I think he is my Great Grandfather .His wife was called Mary Lyons and it appears there were six Farms in Lissybroader at the 1854 valuation.

I think they had two other children apart from Sabina. One was called Martin,but  I cant find the note I made on this subject

Breen
LYONS @ HENAGHANS  DUNMORE GALWAY
BYRNES @ CONWAYS CARLOW,
Glover Taylor Timmis Staffordshire

Offline Greenleaf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 March 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been researching my family tree and am trying to piece together final links. Anne Heneghan nee Warde lived in Quater, Dunmore, Co. Galway.   She was married to Thomas Heneghan, both have sadly passed away. It would be great to know where Anne was from?
Thanks

Offline BREEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 March 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greenleaf
Which period are you talking about

Breen
BYRNES @ CONWAYS CARLOW,

Offline dunmorechris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 March 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
HI Folks

I have a Birth Certificate for my Grandmother born at louth Lodge Dunmore in 1854 ,she was called Sabina Henehan and she
DIED giving birth to my Father in Castle Street Dunmore in March 1893. I have a copy of her Death Certificate.

In the Griffiths Valuation for Dunmore 1854 there are two Farmers callled Henehan @ Heneghan.Patrick Henehan lived in LISSYBRODER  (Louth Lodge) and on the evidence .I think he is my Great Grandfather .His wife was called Mary Lyons and it appears there were six Farms in Lissybroader at the 1854 valuation.

I think they had two other children apart from Sabina. One was called Martin,but  I cant find the note I made on this subject

Breen

Hi Breen,

there is a grave in Dunmore Cemetery as follows: Michael Lyons, Castle St died 15 Dec 1967 age 63, and Mary (nee Grehan) died 4 Oct 2002 Age 88.

I do not know the family, but will try to find some information for you.

Chris

Offline dunmorechris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 March 10 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I have found a marriage record in the National Liabrary as follows:

Jan 23 1834 James Heneghan married Brigit Lyons.

No townland is specified, but it is safe to assume it was Louth Lodge, as there are Lyons & Heneghans in that townland in great numbers.

I hope this is of help to someone.

Chris

Offline dunmorechris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 March 10 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been researching my family tree and am trying to piece together final links. Anne Heneghan nee Warde lived in Quater, Dunmore, Co. Galway.   She was married to Thomas Heneghan, both have sadly passed away. It would be great to know where Anne was from?
Thanks

Hi Greenleaf - Quarter is a neighbouring townland to Louth Lodge. And there are Wardes & Heneghans to this day in Louth Lodge. It was customary for people to marry locally, so it is very possible that Anne is from the area also.

Do you have any dates?

Chris

Offline BREEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 March 10 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi CHRIS

Re the lyons family in Castle Street.

The very first time I visited Dunmore was in 1971 .Up to that time I had taken very little interest in my Ancestors but  My Father had just died that year and my work brought me to Ireland and I made a short visit to Dunmore to discover my roots

I managed to spent a very pleasent time in a bar which was also a grocer shop on the main square .During my brief stay I was introduced to two old men who also lived on the square and they told me they had been members of the Old I R A..We drank several pints together and they told me stories about being on the run in Connemara and how they fought the Black @ Tans They also claimed to have known my father and said He might have got shot if he returned home because he was a British soldier in the First World War

I was told a family of Lyons still lived in Castle Street and knocked on the door but the lady of the house said she did not know anything and her husband was dead

Dan
BYRNES @ CONWAYS CARLOW,