Author Topic: Army reserve?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Army reserve?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi both

Well - I've just been on a fast learning curve now I've downloaded the medal card and tried to discover what it's all about.

There's nothing to say what battalion he is in - can that be worked out from the medal roll number? He was also in the Labour Corps - were transfers commonplace?

He had the victory medal and hence the british medal (LC/101B119) and the 15 star LB/606 and it says the theatre of war he served in was (2B) Balkans 3.5.15.
Does any of this give any clues?

Yes Annie - I think Wass is quite an unusual name in Manchester (It's a good Nottinghamshire name!) - Edward was his brother - I got his card too. I don't think there is any connection with the other two. My understanding is that they were both in the same regiment but Edward was wounded (it says SWB on his card which would confirm this?)

This is so interesting to me
Thanks for your help and interest
Sarah
Manchester - Middleton, Roberts, Bentley, Pieri. North Yorks - Middleton, Robinson, Shepherd, Peacock, Sigsworth. Notts - Wass, Durance, Lowe. Leics - Henton, Debrex (or Deverex or Devereux etc etc!). Middlesex/London - Messenger, Pieri, Roach. Sussex - Messenger. Ireland - Pieri, Collopy

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 19:06 GMT (UK) »
quick reply!

;D The block of numbers for his s/n was assigned to the 5th batt, it also means he was with the battalion in 1917, yes that can be confirmed from the full medal roll but we don't have them (they should be at the NA)

he was transferred to the labour corps, therefore you can assume he was wounded or was sick and not able to preform the duties in a 'fighting' battalion

i need to check whenthe battalion went into action ( it should be 3-5-15)

Edward got a SWB, silver wound badge, yes he was wounded, badly enough to be discharged

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 19:10 GMT (UK) »
as an aside (and off topic-ish)  i was thinking i knew the name but i've realised the name i knew was Vass

Sgt Maj Vass is on the right

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 19:19 GMT (UK) »

Chris!

Is that the same family - d'you think?
they wouldn't make that mistake on a photo would they? and what was his first name?

Nice picture though  ;) ;)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 20:10 GMT (UK) »
It's interesting to see the picture and thanks for the info on the battalion - I'm intrigued to know how you guessed what battalion he was in!

I'm a little confused - what do you mean by the full medal roll?

Sarah
Manchester - Middleton, Roberts, Bentley, Pieri. North Yorks - Middleton, Robinson, Shepherd, Peacock, Sigsworth. Notts - Wass, Durance, Lowe. Leics - Henton, Debrex (or Deverex or Devereux etc etc!). Middlesex/London - Messenger, Pieri, Roach. Sussex - Messenger. Ireland - Pieri, Collopy

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Is that the same family - d'you think?
they wouldn't make that mistake on a photo would they? and what was his first name?

i doubt it, but as you know i have been looking at these guys and the name stuck. there's no first name there, it's Sgt MAJ vass

It's interesting to see the picture and thanks for the info on the battalion - I'm intrigued to know how you guessed what battalion he was in!

I'm a little confused - what do you mean by the full medal roll?

Sarah

the 5th battalion is was a  territorial force battalion, the TF force were renumbered in 1917 and his number is in the block assigned to the 5th batt, no magic really  ;D

the card you have is a medal index card, a more descripitive name would be a medal ROLL index card, the references next to the medals on the card ( LB/606) refer to the full medal roll, which exist for each battalion

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Well it's magic to me :o

Thank you very much - I've learned so much today - my head is buzzing!

Kindest regards
Sarah

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 23:05 GMT (UK) »
theres this family in manchester as well.
gayler and sarah wass
16 gidlow st,gorton,manchester
they had three sons at the start of the war,samuel,albert and william,samuel worked at ehrenbach brumm+co,bradford,manchester
william was killed in action on 9-5-1916
details are.
pte william wass
20th manchester regt
age 18
buried in corbie communal cemetary
plot 1,row A,grave 44
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mack

I don't recognise the names so I don't think they are connected to my Wasses but I'll check it out - you never know where more family are going to appear from ;D

Regards
Sarah