Author Topic: Muir Of Ord. Which District Does This Come Under?  (Read 18264 times)

Offline DougD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Muir Of Ord. Which District Does This Come Under?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 April 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

I was unaware of the Valuation Rolls, despite many years of visiting Registry House.  I just did a few searches and found my grandfather and great grandfather tenancy entries for Contin.  Thanks very much!   More searching ahead ;-)

Kind Regards,
Doug

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 April 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
Ahh - Contin - keep to the speed limit or you'll get zapped  ;D

Have you looked at Scotlands Places. A lot of interesting old docs on there too. Land Tax, Horse Tax, Servant tax, etc.

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DougD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 April 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Looks to be a treasure trove.  Thanks Gadget.

Doug

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 April 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
My question is about the Inn that my great-great-grandfather Alexander ran with his wife Isabel near Muir-of-Ord.  The name of the Inn and croft which has appeared in family records was Croftnabuil (or Croftnabual).  On a trip in 2011 with a tip from a lady in a fabric shop, I traveled across the Railway bridge and then up a road which begins sharply to the left just before the Ullapool road.  About a mile up that road I did discover a house with a sign “Croc na Boull.”  The owner of the house was not in so I was unable to query about the sign. My question is, does anyone have information on the old Inn?  It apparently existed up into the late 1800s and perhaps there are photos or other descriptions somewhere.

In the 1881 census (LDS CD-ROM transcription) Alexander Campbell, 56, police officer, born Urray, with wife and family is in the parish of Contin. In the same enumeration district are the kirk, manse and schoolhouse of Contin, Mains of Contin, Coul, and Jamestown. So this is the police house in Contin village, not in Garve.

Cnoc-na-Boull or Croc-na-Buil (spellings can vary) is in the Ardnagrask area, just outside Muir of Ord village in the parish of Urray. In the 1841 census (transcription at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl), there is a family in Ardnacrask consisting of Alexander Campbell, 53, publican, Helen Campbell, 44, and several children including Alexander, age 16.

So it does look possible that your Croftnabuil and the present Cnoc-na-Boull might be the same, though it seems odd that a place called Croft-something should change to Cnoc-something. A croft is a small farm, and a cnoc is a small hillock - not quite the same thing.

Unfortunately the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses are not available (yet) on FreeCEN. And I have failed to find Croftnabuil, Cnoc-na-Bull, or an inn on the old Ordnance Survey maps.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 April 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Ord Hill, Urray, is Cnoc Croit na Maoile, so hill of the bare/bald croft? west of Ardnagrask, also a Carn na Buaile west of Loch Achilty, cairn of the cattle-fold.

Skoosh.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 April 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
CAMPBELL WILLIAM Tenant Occupier
INN AND CROFT CROFTNABOUL ESTATE OF ORD AND ARNAGRASK URRAY
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 April 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
Ord Hill, Urray, is Cnoc Croit na Maoile, so hill of the bare/bald croft? west of Ardnagrask, also a Carn na Buaile west of Loch Achilty, cairn of the cattle-fold.
Hmmm. That's quite possible.

Càrn na Buaile is about 8 miles from Muir of Ord/Ardnacrask, and none of the maps shows any buildings there, so I doubt that it has anything to do with Cnoc-na-Bull.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 April 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
My question is about the Inn that my great-great-grandfather Alexander ran with his wife Isabel near Muir-of-Ord.  The name of the Inn and croft which has appeared in family records was Croftnabuil (or Croftnabual).  On a trip in 2011 with a tip from a lady in a fabric shop, I traveled across the Railway bridge and then up a road which begins sharply to the left just before the Ullapool road. 

We used to travel along those roads often and I'm trying to work out which road it was. Did you pass the Distillery (on sharp bend) or was the turn toward Ardnagrask?

Modern Map link ~

https://tinyurl.com/y776ozfm

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 April 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Gadget, on your map between the Corry of Ardnagrask & Greenhill Cottage is a croft called Croit Cnoc just south of the Jesmore Burn.  At the highest magnification!  ;D

Pronounced something like croitch croach (croach as in loch!)

Skoosh.