Author Topic: Muir Of Ord. Which District Does This Come Under?  (Read 18359 times)

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Muir Of Ord. Which District Does This Come Under?
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 22 April 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
The 1851 has household order as Croftnabual, Ardnagrask, Ardnagrask and then Clew View Hill??
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 22 April 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
No - it's View Hill which is here:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74428424#zoom=5&lat=5714&lon=4985&layers=BT

(where we were looking before)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 22 April 18 17:26 BST (UK) »

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 22 April 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
I have just attempted to 'walk' the 1841 census enumerator's route, and come to the conclusion that the places are not listed in any logical order, because the list dots from one address to another and then back again. He 'returns' 13 times to Ardnacrask and 3 times to Creatnabuale. I've also looked for all of them on the First Edition of the Ordnance Survey six-inch map, and even found some of them. The names from the 1841 census are in black and the names from the map in blue below.

Ardnacrask. Ardnagrask is an area covering several crofts to the south of what is now called Corry or Corrie Road.
Corrie Corry of Ardnagrask is a similar are of several crofts further out along Corry Road. Both are north of the small river or burn.
Bog of Ord, Ord, Square of Ord, Glaie of Ord (which is probably a mistranscription of Glaic of Ord), Ord Square, Ord Lodge, Ord Park. None of these are mapped, but Ord Mains, House, Distillery and Cottage, and Broom of Ord, are all north of Ardnagrask.
Aultbhaich. Aultvaich (anglicised spelling of Aultbhaich) is a similar area south of the burn.
Glaisantorran/Claisantorran/Glasantorran/Glaistorran. Clashdorran is a similar area south and a little east of Aultbhaich.
Rheindown/Reindown. Rheindown is south and east again
Wellhouse. Wellhouse is south-east of Rheindown, quite close to the railway line.
Teandalloch. Teandalloch is east of Aultvaich.
Taighnlluick. Teanalick is east of Clashdorran and north of Rheindown.
Ballvulich/Ballvullich. Balavulich is west of Ord House.
Chuilich. Culach is south and west of Balavulich.
Aultnabreac. Alltnambreac is close to Tomich in the parish of Kilmorack, and was cut off from the rest of Urray when the railway was built. It no longer exists.

I have not found Carnachlarsar, Aultmor, Caiplich, Glaie (probably a mistranscription of Glaic and may be another listing of Glaic of Ord) or
Creatnabuale, which has to be a contender for Croftnabuil. This might be Cnoc na Luibhe, which is at the west end of Corry of Ardnagrask, but it's quite a leap from Cnoc to Creat (croit) and an even bigger leap from buale to luibhe, so I am inclined to doubt it.

There are some other places on the map, for example Foresthill Cottage, Viewhill, Dalvelnah and Dunmore, which are not listed in the 1841 census. There is also a Wellbank which I think must be the place listed in the census as Wellhouse, because the place named Wellhouse on the map is in the parish of Kilmorack, not in Urray.

So wherever the Campbells were in 1841, it must have been west of the railway line and of what is now the A862 Great North Road.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 22 April 18 18:50 BST (UK) »
A lot of walking there, Forfarian!

Are we assuming that Creatnabuale/Croftnabual on the 1841 and 51 is the same as Ardnagask Inn,  which is where they are in 1861?

Offline DougD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 22 April 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
Some excellent information here – thank you all!   

Forfarain, your reports on the 1841 Census (which I did not have) for Alexander (Publican), wife Helen (Isabel was his mother) and children is in fact my great-great-grandfather.  I do have copies of pages of the 1861, 1871 and 1881 Census for Contin which show Alexander Campbell, my great-grandfather.  And thanks for the correction on the police house being in Contin village as opposed to Garve.  And you did some serious walking following the census taker's route!

DonM, from what document does the entry you posted appear?  (CAMPBELL WILLIAM Tenant Occupier INN AND CROFT CROFTNABOUL ESTATE OF ORD AND ARNAGRASK URRAY)

Gadget, the road of which I spoke is in fact the turn toward Ardnagrask (Corry Rd).  And thank you for your reading of the 1851 Census record you posted as the “Ardnagrask Inn”. 

The family stories were that the Inn was on the old Drove Road above Muir of Ord. 

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 22 April 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry Doug - I read Don's answers as yours. So did you turn Left after the railway bridge down to Ardnagrask?  If so, Don's comments about the Ord Arms Hotel and Croft Allan are not relevant.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 22 April 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
A lot of walking there, Forfarian!
Aye. Sair feet ;(

Are we assuming that Creatnabuale/Croftnabual on the 1841 and 51 is the same as Ardnagask Inn,  which is where they are in 1861?
I think that's the nub of the question, really, and I'd like to see some evidence one way or the other.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 22 April 18 19:13 BST (UK) »

Gadget, the road of which I spoke is in fact the turn toward Ardnagrask (Corry Rd).  And thank you for your reading of the 1851 Census record you posted as the “Ardnagrask Inn”. 

It was the 1861 which stated Ardnagrask Inn. In 1851 they were listed as at  Croftnabual

Gadget