Author Topic: St Mawes Burial - 1925 KNOX KEITH  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Kingsgrove

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Mawes Burial - 1925 KNOX KEITH
« on: Thursday 26 January 06 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I have seen a death notice in the Times for Arthur Henry KNOX KEITH, late RN, for 3 Nov 1925.  He died in London following an operation, but was of St Mawes, Cornwall, husband of Millicent KNOX KEITH.  This couple are related to me, and I would be very grateful if someone could look up the burial records at St Mawes (would this be St Just in Roseland?) to see if he is buried there.
Also, would there be Directories available for St Mawes in the 1920s which might give their address?  Arthur was the son of Col. and Lady Jane Knox (nee Parsons), so there may even have been an obituary in the local Cornish paper.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kingsgrove, Auckland, New Zealand

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: St Mawes Burial - 1925 KNOX KEITH
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hiya Kingsgrove,

A belated Welcome to RootsChat. It's a great website. A query about a Cornish person being answered by an Irishman with Norwegian ancestors being sent to New Zealand.

If your query related to a person in the north of Ireland I'd say send an email to the library as I would know the librarians would have a look to see if they could find some information for you. I'm not sure about England but I suspect the same thing happens there. There's a library at St Just. I'm sorry I could not find one at St Mawes.

Chris    

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 August 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Kingsgrove - I have an interest in Arthur Henry KNOX KEITH as I believe that Millie was relative of mine. If you are still about I can expand.

Offline Kingsgrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 August 18 23:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm still here!  Would be very interested to know your connection to Millie Keith Knox (nee Thomson).  She was my grandad's maternal aunt.

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
Robert Thomson and Elizabeth Smart were her g-grandparents and my ggg-grandparents, which my software says would have made us second cousins twice removed. I did a bit of research on the various lines of descent from Robert, her grandfather, one of the sons of Robert Thomson and Elizabeth Smart, more than a few years back after I was provided with details by a descendent of his. Unfortunately this was a whiles back and currently can't find any detail as to who this was or what the initial additional detail was!! For one reason or another I ended up having a second look at it the other week and found two posts which piqued my interest, yours and an earlier one. This led to some digging around the internet for additional details. As most of this is courtesy of the internet and google it may well be I am not bringing anything much new but happy to post all I have if you are interested. Any particular queries?

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
Regards Arthur's address in Cornwall, when his newly married son who was recorded as Neville Yorke Knox sailed from Liverpool on 20 October 1928 on board the SS Samaria for New York he gave "The name and complete address of the nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came" as "Mrs Keith, The Moorings, St Mawes, Cornwall. Mother."

Offline Kingsgrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your two responses.  Yes, we must be distant cousins, as Robert Thomson and Elisabeth Smart are my direct line on my grandfather's side.  I do have as much information as I probably need for Millie's ancestry (and her sister Clara Madeline Thomson, who was my great-grandmother), but thank you for your kind offer.  As for my initial request regarding where Arthur Knox Keith may have been buried, this I have yet to discover.  I did visit St Mawes and took photos of their house there.  A beautiful spot.  No other clues, though, and Millie had moved from Cornwall and died much later whilst living with her daughter in Oxfordshire so no help there.  Maybe he was buried at sea!

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
I believe there is some mystery around the identity of Millie's husband Arthur? Did you ever manage to definitively prove who he was? There seem to be lots of clues and hints on the internet but nothing that is definite?
I have info on Millie's other sister Ellen Louisa Thomson and her two girls but I suspect you have this already?

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 May 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
I have now got all the details of Amelia's initial marriage to Arthur Frederick Chadwick which was bigamous plus relevant newspaper reports of his trial etc. I also have a record of her subsequent marriage to Arthur Henry Knox Keith if this is of any interest?