Author Topic: Morgans in Ayr  (Read 1665 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morgans in Ayr
« on: Friday 27 January 06 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for connections of the Morgans from Ayr.  I've traced my Morgan connections back to John b around 1770 probably in Ireland.  He married Jean ?Golden, the name of his wife is difficult to read on their son's death notice.  They moved to Ayr where their son Joseph married Ann Little at St Quivox.  I'm looking for more information about John and Jean.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Morgans in Ayr
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don't recognise any of these people.  My Morgan/Kilwinning connection comes through Elizabeth Wylie from Kilwinning who married Joseph Morgan of Ayr in 1853.  Lots of connection with Kilwinning but it's all through Wylie and Blair connections.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline ron_dem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 06 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Morgan was my great great grandmother who was married to Edward Dempsey. they brought their family to Dalry, Ayrshire c. 1848.  She was born in Irleand c. 1808. Her parents were Hugh Morgan and Mary donnelly as per her death cert. 1876.

As your John Morgan and Jean ?Golden could the name be McGoldrick?

Dempsey, Hampton, Bon(n)ar, Wilson,
Stewart (2) Wilson (2) Barclay, Watson, Meldrum, Brand (2), Kinloch, Nicol, Brown, McNeillis, Gallocher, O'Donnell (2), Harper, Main,  Thomson, Donnelly,

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 06 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I don't have a Margaret Morgan.  A check of Joseph's death cert shows that there is no Mc on the mother's name, but I've learned that that doesn't mean much.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 06 12:40 BST (UK) »
I've had another thought about Margaret Morgan.  It seems quite a coincidence that she should come to Ayr from Ireland where my Morgans were livings.  Also interesting that her father was Hugh as that name continues down through the generations.  Any other info?

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Morgans in Ayr or Lanarkshire
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 September 20 07:46 BST (UK) »
I've come back to the Morgans.  Joseph Morgan and Ann Little both born in Ireland but married in Ayrshire in 1824 lived in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire - ST Quivox is one place named.  They had four sons, Joseph, John, William and Francis who lived in either of Lanarkshire or Ayrshire at one time or another.  I would like to  know if there are any connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 September 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
St. Quivox itself is only a hamlet, it's tiny, but the Parish of St.Quivox seems to cover Ayr north of the river which is and was well populated.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 September 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian.  0n a visit back to Scotland I visited St Quivox and remembered it as being very small.  Thanks for the additional info.