Author Topic: High Street, Elgin  (Read 8554 times)

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
High Street, Elgin
« on: Friday 27 January 06 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello to ALL!
Does anyone live or go near 185 High Street, Elgin?
Could someone give me a description of what the building is like now or post a picture.
I had ancestors who lived and died at that address and I am curious on what the building is now and can/do people still live there?
Thanks!
Valerie
Scotland
Elgin-Moray : Crow, Fraser, Watson, MacLean
Aharacle-Jura- Argyll : Crow

Offline L23

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: High Street, Elgin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 06 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie

Not in area now, but believe there was a charity shop about that number, maybe Cancer Research.

Offline HeathersLaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 06 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Will check it out fo you.

Heather

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 06 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!
 :D
Scotland

Offline HeathersLaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 06 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello

175 High Street was down the close and the Northern Scot newspaper had the front shop and flats upstairs.  going to the library to find out more.

Heather

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Heather,
 I am interested in 185 High Street.
Thanks!
Valerie
Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 06 01:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a family with 8 children, 7 of whom were born in 185 High Street, Elgin. I have not identified the building, but it is probably a block of flats because the address on some of the birth certificates is 185g High Street. It will be like the rest of that part of the High Street, two storeys plus an attic, stone-built houses, not detached but effectively terraced.

HTH

Forfarian
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 06 02:09 GMT (UK) »
 :)Thanks for the reply.
So who was the family that you have living there and at what time did they live there?
I had two families that lived there at one point. As far as I can tell, my Crow family lived there from about 1850 until 1876 and the MacLean's stayed on until 1885. I don't know if any of the children from the MacLean's stayed on after that date, I haven't gotten that far on my research.

You wouldn't by chance know how big the flats were, like how many rooms or was it just one big open space?
Valerie

Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 06 09:50 GMT (UK) »
So who was the family that you have living there and at what time did they live there?

They were one of my Burgess families and the children were born there between 1919 and 1930.

You wouldn't by chance know how big the flats were, like how many rooms or was it just one big open space?
It has since occurred to me that they were probably not flats, in fact.

The central street layout of Elgin is mediaeval, that is, the street widens in the middle to accommodate the kirk and market, and on either side of the street there are lots of narrow lanes (closes) at right angles to the High Street, many lined with houses. On reflection it is more likely that 185 is a close, and that there were several houses in the close, all numbered 185, with a letter to distinguish them.

The post code of 185 High Street is IV30 1DW. I searched for this on www.findpeoplefree.co.uk and it produced a listing with one business at 185, one at 185c and one at 185g High Street; the one at 185 is the Imperial Cancer Research Fund, which has the High Street frontage. The other two will be down the close behind.

And no, the house or flat would not have been just one open space - there would have been separate rooms.

HTH

Forfarian
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.