Author Topic: High Street, Elgin  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: High Street, Elgin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 April 06 22:51 BST (UK) »
I too have an interest in the High Street, I have a Mary Henderson born at no. 37 in 1880, is it still there?

Offline Younie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 18:19 BST (UK) »
Just found your query about 185 High Street in Elgin.  I can tell you that at one time it was called City Arms Close and was located on the North side of High Street. I quote from a book by Bruce Bishop , The Closes of Elgin.  "No's 185,187 , Orginally two separate closes, redeveloped in the 19th century, comprising mainly 19th century terraced houses some with of which have outside end stairs.  7 families listed on the 1881 census.  Evidence of an arched pend at No.185."
I was interested in locating No. 156 High Street where the Younie family had an Inn in the 1800's.  This little book has provided a lot of information about the Closes' and the people who lived in Elgin.  It is available from the NE Family History Society in  Aberdeen.
P.Younie
Younie, Howarth,

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 August 06 03:14 BST (UK) »
Younie,
   Thanks for replying, any tid bit of information is very nice.
So the book states that there was a redevelopment in the 19th century and 185 WAS on the north side?
Do you know of a way to find about what year the street was changed?
Hey, by chance you don't happen to know what the names of the 7 familes are that are listed on the census?
Thanks for your time!
Valerie
Scotland
Elgin-Moray : Crow, Fraser, Watson, MacLean
Aharacle-Jura- Argyll : Crow

Offline Younie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 August 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
I too have an interest in the High Street, I have a Mary Henderson born at no. 37 in 1880, is it still there?
" Courant Court: High Street, North side, No. 37, Site of the Elgin Courant Newspaper Offices and Printing Presses and home to 4 families in 1851, and 7 families by 1901.  In 2002 it is a gated close with a square pend, the houses bieing 3 storey at the pend and becoming 2 storey further down the close.  There is evidence of bricked up doors and windows on the right hand side, including one large bricked-up access area witha hoist in the roof above which was probably connected with the old Elgin Courant Newspaper Printworks"
From The Lands and People of Moray , The Closes of Elgin by Bruce Bishop.  Published in 2002 by J & B Bishop, Rivendell, Miltonduff, Elgin, Moray
Hope this is helpful.  This little book is available from the North East Family History Society in Aberdeen, Scotland
Younie, Howarth,

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 August 06 04:50 BST (UK) »
This little book is a wonderful find. Does anyone know if there is anything similar for Forres?
Kath :)
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov