Author Topic: Bell's of Hoddam or Ecclefechan  (Read 12728 times)

Offline joyan

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Bell's of Hoddam or Ecclefechan
« on: Tuesday 21 September 04 00:19 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me? I have been looking for Nicholas Bell (female) born ca 1828 in Hoddam of Ecclefechan according to her marriage certificate which took place in 1849 in Liverpool her father was John Bell a Tailor .... and a witness to her marriage was Mary Ann Bell, could have been her sister.

If anyone has access to the 1841 Census or the Parish Records for her birth or baptism I would be very grateful because I have been stuck for some two years now on my Bell line.

Kind Regards

Joyce

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Bell's of Hoddam or Ecclefechan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 04 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hiya Joyce,

I'm gearing up for a library trip soon - had intended to go this week but work got in the way - how rude! ;D

So in 1841 you are looking for a Bell family in either Ecclefechan (my favourite place name anywhere ever!) or Hoddam.

I'll check the 1841 for these 2 areas and the baptisms from 1825 to 1832 - do you think these dates should cover it?
The 1841 census is indexed D&GFHS sell the booklets but I don't have them for these areas - I'll try the film.

If anyone else gets to this before me feel free.

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
Cheers,
Pam

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline joyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 September 04 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam

Wow! :D many thanks for replying I would really appreciate your help here, I think 1825-1832 would be the right time frame.

Going by  her census details and death cert.

I have found her in 1851/61/71/81/91/1901 and all list she was born in Scotland but in 1891 it's Hoddam, Scotland and an elderly Aunt ( in fact she was 100 yesterday bless her) remembers her mentioning Ecclefechan and as these areas are in close proximity to one another I assume it must be either one or the other.

I agree Ecclefecan is a lovely name and sometime in the future would like to visit the area, I do hope that it is not to time consuming doing a blanket search of 1841, her age could be anywhere between 8 and 14, also thought I'd mention that one of her sons had the middle name of Irvine which could have been her Mother's maiden name .... just in case it helps a little.

I do hope it turns up something, you have no idea how happy it would make me,I really can't thank you enough for your kind offer.

Many thanks

Joyce

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 20:44 BST (UK) »
Just as information, Ecclefechan is in Hoddom Parish. Ecclefechan grew substantially around 1800 with incomers from other parishes - farmers, cotton weavers etc.  The old parish church in Ecclefechan contains gravestones up to mid 19th century, mainly indigenous families. A new church was built halfway between Ecclefechan and Hoddom, the churchyard containing graves of incoming and later families. There is an old graveyard enclosure at Hoddom with no surviving stones and a graveyard round Repentance Tower to south of Hoddom Castle. Although the new Hoddom Church burnt down the graveyard is still in use, and the grave inscriptions are mostly clearly legible.

Ecclefechan is fairly small, doubled in size by a Council estate, and contains two shops, a rather run-down pub, and a hotel. It includes Thomas Carlyle's birthplace. I stayed there for a week last year to do my own family history research (Murray- five generations), and there isn't much to do but go exploring - a substantial Roman Fort, Roman Camps and Burnswark Iron Age fort and Roman siege camps are the main attraction.  Several bus services pass through it and it is very accessible by road (the motorway passes close to it), so it is probably best visited from a base in Annan or Dumfries. There is a good caravan park at Hoddom Castle for those that prefer that mode of travel.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline joyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 September 04 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Longshanks

That doesn't sound right! :-[

Many thanks for supplying me with the information about Ecclefechan I found it really fascinating to read! it sounds like an interesting  little village that hasn't changed too much over the years and steeped in history too.

I just hope I can find my Bell connections there... then that will give me a good excuse to visit! it sounds as though your stay there proved successful with your Murray line.and maybe I might have a bit of luck so fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Joyce

Offline craftellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 November 04 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I have just started looking into my family history in Dumfriesshire and have Bell's of Hoddam/Ecclefechan a few generations back, plus Linn, and even further back I believe there are Roddicks, Rogersons and Gilbertsons.   There is a Mary Anne Bell there I think.   I will get back in touch when I get all the names clearly in order, in case there is a link.   Found the information about Ecclefechan now very interesting, I was last there with grandparents about 1950's.

Offline joyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply regarding the Bell's of Hoddam/Ecclefechan I would be grateful of any details you have particularly John Bell a Tailor, Mary Ann Bell and Nicholas Bell ... do you happen to have the 1841 census for this area or know how I can access it?

Best Wishes

Joyan

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 19:52 GMT (UK) »
My most humble apologies - I thought I'd reported back!!!!

I have checked the 1841 and there wasn't a family that matched there were however lots of Bells who where weavers and cloth workers.  I know I wanted to go back and double check because I was running out of time, but I thought I'd posted  :-[

I will double check next time as it is easy to miss a name or two.

P :'(

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline joyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 December 04 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Pam I appreciate your help and yes if you do go back could you please keep an eye open for my family of Bell's particularly Nicholas either in the 1841 census or Parish records coz I am well and truly stuck and have been for some time now.

Cheers

Joyce