Author Topic: Mavie Mill COMPLETED  (Read 6964 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mavie Mill
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline,
I was hoping it was where they lived/married, it does say Mavie Mill on their marriage certificate.

Margaret Mc Aulay, married James Munn, they were my great great grandparents, their son Andrew Brown Mc Aulay Munn was my fathers grandfather (on his mothers side)

I have no census of the Mc Aulays yet, or that address. I only have census on the Munn's.
1891, 1901 and a few 1851.

My Munn's were from Old Kilpatrick, Dumbarton.

I was planning to visit the cottage in May.

Margaret had 3 sisters called Catherine, Ann and Agnes, and a brother called James.
Their parents were John Mc Aulay and Margaret Mc Aulay nee Brown.

Thank you for you info.
Have you been to visit the area yet?
I will try and get some census when I visit the Mitchell Library in May.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I love the Mitchell Library - it is one of my fave places in the whole wide world! (How sad am I!)

McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 13:09 GMT (UK) »
;D I love the FRC in Angel, I am sad too  ;D

I have never been to the Mitchell Library.
Have you any tips you can give me?
As I am only in Glasgow for 2 nights, and don't want to waste too much time trying to understand the lay out etc  :-\

Thank you.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I would love to say I have done family tree research there but I havent - I only ever use it for the newspaper archives - which are excellent I have to say.

Inside it is a bit of a warren (with loads of corridors etc) so make sure you come in through the main door and you cant go wrong - I dont know how many times I have put my handbag and stuff in one cloak room only not to be able to find it when I get back.

There is a cafe there but you are just round the corner from Sauchiehall street (one of the main shopping centres) so you would be better off popping off there. There is a couple of nice pubs before you even get to the main roads that all do nice cheap and cheerful lunches so you dont have to wander far at all.

The staff are really friendly and very kind - nothing is too mcuh bother at all.

I know you will love it - even when it is busy there is plenty of space.

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna,
Thanks  ;)
We are staying on Sauchiehall St, I know it is a very long rd.  ;D

I will have a list with me what to do first, so I am sure the staff we point us all the right direction. I really am looking forward to it, and visiting Loch Lomond.
Did you see it on Who do you thin you are? With Jeremy Paxman (in the Mitchell library) looking for his g granny.

Pettsy x
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I think it is the biggest reference library in Europe! Or at least it was. I work in Glasgow and it is 10 mins walk from where I am so I have been known to pop in just for the lunch hour.

I am actually only 2 miles from Balloch and Loch Lomond - It is a beautiful place and I am sure that you will enjoy it here.

If you are coming in the summer watch out for midgies - they say that if you take garlic capsules you sweat a scent out of your pores that midges dont like but that we cant smell.

Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna,
No we are coming in the beginning of May, so I hope the midges aren't about then  :-\
I do take garlic caps, and also vitamin B Complex is good, well for mozzies anyway as it lets of a smell they don't like!!!

I hope I won't need an umbrella either  ;)

I am going to visit Old Kilpatrick cemetery, then travel up to Kilmaronock etc.... we don't drive so it public transport.
I was going to visit another cemetery in Lochgilphead, but it is too far out travel for our short trip.

Munn New Jersey and Oz