Author Topic: Sanitorium in Talgarth  (Read 49789 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sanitorium in Talgarth
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 October 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve
Below are two photos of the grave of Frank Canipane at St Mary's Church, Bronllys.  One shows the location - it is facing the entrance to the churchyard - and the second is a close-up.  The weather was so gloomy this morning that I was struggling to override the flash, so I apologise for the fact that they are not brilliant.      I am hoping to go back over the weekend if the sun is shining so that I can post some better images which include the entire  MN insignia. 

Regards,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline averyme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 December 09 15:24 GMT (UK) »
hello from canada i have a grandfather John Henry Avery buried at the chapel cemetery there in the cemetery there is a single gravestone for a soldier that is buried there. My grandfather is buried in the cemetery there is no marker or headstone that i am aware of  also the hospital was sold and is in the process of being torn apart. in my research with powys archives they informed me of his burial there but they had no idea where. if a plot plan exists i would be interested  as it may assist in locating his resting place. my father charles hampton avery came to canada in 1926  without ever knowing what happened to his father and he died in 1997 i have championed the effort to try to locate him , he died at talgarth mental hospital in 1931 he had been there since 1922 they admitted him from the hay wokhouse. i have one saving bit of information in that they had taken his picture on admission a requirement of addmission. any assistance would be appreciated
avery/carswell/large/clark/miller/dollemore/plumb/humburg/kelk/kent in pontypridd/cardiff/ davies in pontypridd cardiff

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 December 09 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Bronllys, which is a village a couple of miles away from Talgarth, and about 4 miles from the Talgarth Hospital site.  I am assuming that you have seen this, as there is a photo of John Avery on the home page:

http://midwalescountylunaticasylum.fotopic.net/

Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 December 09 10:07 GMT (UK) »

... and this planning document has maps of the site on page 14 and  a map of Talgarth on page 15:

http://www.breconbeacons.org/the-authority/planning/strategy-and-policy/spg-and-dc-guidance-notes/talgarth-development-brief

Regards,
Greensleeves

Offline averyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 December 09 10:15 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the info will proceed appreciate your time Bruce Avery from canada
avery/carswell/large/clark/miller/dollemore/plumb/humburg/kelk/kent in pontypridd/cardiff/ davies in pontypridd cardiff

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 December 09 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce

I'll ask friends in Talgarth if they know where the cemetery is at Talgarth Hospital.  If I can find that out, perhaps once the weather is better I could go up and take some photos.  Bit snowy for that at the moment!

Regards,
Greensleeves

Offline averyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 December 09 13:39 GMT (UK) »
that would be great, i feel responsible for your snowy situation its the norm here in canada to have snow around all winter here this past week 40 cm  in some areas and in our western provinces cold as low as -50. So no big rush on the photos leave it till spring and once again thanks Bruce

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 January 10 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce - and others who are interested in the Talgarth Hospital burial ground

I went there yesterday, and was dismayed to find that the entire burial ground is completely overgrown.  There appears to be only one headstone, that of a war grave.  Someone has cleared the brambles away from this and there are remains of poppy petals at the base. 

I am posting a photo of the chapel, and the burial ground which is to the rear of the chapel.  You can see the headstone of the war grave to the right of the photo.

So sorry to have to post an image of such desolation.

Greensleeves

Offline averyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 January 10 15:33 GMT (UK) »
thank you greensleeves at least the attention it deserves may well help it,s preservation.