Author Topic: erm...how do you build a website?  (Read 11412 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: erm...how do you build a website?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 21:38 BST (UK) »
Free Webspace on RootsChat is HERE

OK, for those who fancy uploading pages to free webspace, then RootsChat is now delighted to offer it. It's totally free of charge, free of pop-ups, and it's yours for the asking.

THIS IS "PART ONE" OF WHAT ROOTSCHAT CAN OFFER YOU FOR YOUR OWN WEBSITE.

Just send a personal message to me (trystan), with your requested password, and we will set up your webspace. All you will receive back is "FTP" details that you will need upload your website. If you don't have the foggiest what I mean then don't worry - in the coming weeks we are bringing out some other goodies for you (see below).

Your website will then be:  (whatever your username is)
www.rootschat.com/~username

Your free webspace is available if you have two stars or more, and the site is related to family history, local history, or related in interest to these. Your webspace will be pop-up free, but we do reserve the right to include adverts to your site to cover our costs. What do we ask in returm? All that we ask is that you make mention of RootsChat on your site for us.

PART TWO: In the coming weeks we are also bringng you a really easy package for you to build your own website (RootsChatEasy) using no software at all - just build it using your web-browser online. As with everything on RootsChat, it will also be free.

PART THREE:
We will also be providing a very exciting online family tree websites for RootsChatters too, with the ability to find links to other users trees. And again, this will be free too.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Maudette

« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 September 04 18:27 BST (UK) »
There's a free website builder on the cover CD with Your Family Tree Magazine (November issue, just out this week) and in the magazine are instructions for how to use it. Haven't tried it yet though.

Trystan, you mentioned software to create a website from a gedcom file, when it's available will you set up a demo website so we can see what it produces?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 03 October 04 10:08 BST (UK) »
I would advise anyone to hold off and see what rootschat is bringing out as the systems and packages being described sound the ideal tools for many of the tasks described so far.

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
MY WEBSITE IS READY!!
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

My website is ready! There is still some content,well quite alot actually, to be added onto some of the pages. But it is more or less ready.

I had loads of problems yesterday uploading it (Many thanks to Trystan for his patience during my little 'episode') so some of the links might not work. If ANYTHING doesn't work, (or if you spot any spelling mistakes as my spelling is appalling) please let me know.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who helped me with this.

Amy

Posting the blinking address would help wouldn't it!!

www.foliages.co.uk
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 11:16 BST (UK) »
One thing though, how do I add a 'hit counter'?
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 11:17 BST (UK) »
That's great !  

Looks like it took a lot of work, and I don't mean just the  "erm ... how do you ....." bits.

Looking forward to seeing more of the stories.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 11:20 BST (UK) »
Have you looked in this thread: http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13720.0

lots more tips here, including a link to this site: http://freepages.computers.rootsweb.com/~pasher/dragndrop.htm

One of the themes here: how to add a counter !
and also: How to add a guest book

Hope that helps
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 11:27 BST (UK) »
One thing though, how do I add a 'hit counter'?

www.free-counters.co.uk

www.freebielist.com/counters.htm 

www.statcounter.com/free_hit_counter.html 

They would have the codes that you copy and paste into your html doc

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 12:00 BST (UK) »
Amy,

Just had a look at the site,  very well done.  Love the name,  your philosophy is much the same as mine,  bring them back to life with the detail I say.  ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.