Author Topic: White Family Sussex  (Read 34529 times)

Offline Lynette Silva- Budden

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: White Family Sussex
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Stephen and Peggy met each other  just before the rescue ship arrived at Tristan Da Cuhna. Peggy was a Maid that had travelled with her lady boss. They had travelled from India to England, and were travelling back to India, when the ship burnt out. They were rescued by "The Endevour"  and that ship took them to Endurance Island. There were a few inhabitants that lived on "Tristan Da Cuhna", and a few people at a time were taken from Endurance to Tristan. There were  80+ passengers  in total that were moved . After a few months a ship came to pick up the people , stuck on the island.By now Stephen and Peggy had met each other on the Island.  8 men were staying behind on Tristan. They ware to check out how habitable Tristan Da Cuhna was, and worked with the few locals. As the resque ship was getting ready to leave with the rest of the survivers, Stephen asked Mr Glass, (The Man in Charge) would Peggy be allowed to stay with him, if she accepted.  Mr Glass said yes and Peggy was taken off the ship by her own concent. They were in love. William glass was a ships Captain and was allowed to Marry, Stephen and Peggy. They then had their first 3 children on Tristan Da Cunha. Stephen, Margaret and Sarah. Born 1822, 1824, 1826. In 1827 the work had finished and they sailed back to England. Stephens Father, William, was extremely angry with Stephen. Stephen had bought home a wife and 3 Children He had been legally Married in 1822, but it wasn't blessed by God.  William insisted that they Marry again, in a Church. so they did in 1827. Peggy was then pregnant again so they waited for Ann to be born in Suffox and then made the decision to leave England. They immigrated to Tasmania, Australia on the "Blendan Hall" They settled and then continued to have 5 more Children

Tristan Da Cunha
Stephen had arranged for Peggy to leave the ship and return to the island. They were later married by William Glass. It was the first marriage on the island
Marriage to Margaret Peggy Vass
5 Jul
Ore, Hastings, Sussex, England
Stephen White Married Margaret VASS on 5 July 1827 at Ore, Hastings, Sussex, England, during a holiday to see his Father back in England. They already had their first 3 children, and Stephens Father insisted on the Christian Marriage, for Children
Stephen and Peggy are my 4th Great Grandparents.

Stephen WHITE (1794 - 1854)

is your 4th great grandfather

Charlotte Matilda WHITE (1833 - 1898)

daughter of Stephen WHITE

Catherine Brooks Brogan (1850 - 1897)

daughter of Charlotte Matilda WHITE

Frank Vincent (My Great GrandFather). Silva (1875 - 1960)

son of Catherine Brooks Brogan

Arthur James Silva (1900 - 1999)

son of Frank Vincent (My Great GrandFather). Silva

Arthur John Silva (1927 - )

son of Arthur James Silva

Lynette Dawn Silva

You are the daughter of Arthur John Silva -

Offline Helensstory

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 23 August 18 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi to all who have posted on this family information. I am a descendant as follows

William White m Ann Thatcher

Their first child William White m Sarah Telhurst/Tolhurst

Their 3rd child Joseph aka Stephen White m Peggy/Margaret Anderson/Vass.

Their 5th child William White m Charlotte

3rd child Charles White m 2nd wife Florence Wardle

Charles 5th child, Florence 2nd son Stephen George White m Versa Helen Skinner

1st child is me.

I am in UK and came down to Hastings yesterday. I was able to find the tombstone for William White at Old St Helens Church at Ore with many thanks to Chris at 1066 land photos. The cemetery had been recently whipper snipped.

Helen

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynette,

I am also a descendant of Stephen White & Peggy Vass (or Anderson) via one of their daughters Ann.  You have that the family came to Tasmania on the Blendan Hall.  The Blendan Hall was the ship that they were on, that ended up on Tristan DÁchuna.

The family went back to England aboard the Norwegian whaling ship "Duke of Gloucester" in December 1826. This ship had previously taken two of the Glass children to Cape Town in March of 1826 to complete their education.

The ship that the family sailed on to Tasmania  was the  "Rubicon", in 1832.

Cheers

Webby
Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 08 November 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, I am very late to this party! I'm not sure how I've been missing this post for all these years.

I'm a descendant of William White and Sarah Telhurt through their youngest, Barbara and her husband Charles Baker.

I'm not sure if anyone knows this but the Kings head was sold in Feb of this year 2019. It was set to be torn down to make way for a new 12 home building/buildings. I'm not sure if it's already gone but just wanted to sure.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 09 November 19 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello kshaw

The pub has gone.
New houses already  have roofs on.
Google Ivy Gardens,Park Lane  Group.

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 10 November 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh, what a shame.

I'm in Scotland, I found out about the families link to the Inn a few years ago. At the time it was still a pub and doing business. I had been planning to go see it but life is busy and kept getting in the way. My grandma (95 years old) is Barbara White and Charles Baker's 2 x great-granddaughter (William White & Sarah Telhurst's 3 x). I was hoping to get some pictures of it, and hopefully even photos of the inside. So sad, it's my own fault for putting it off.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello kshaw

You could email Hastings Reference Library,they are very helpful or the Local Paper ,Hastings Observer

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know