Author Topic: James WATTS born 1770 Suffolk  (Read 1570 times)

Offline lynnesl0t

• RootsChat Extra
  • alice west my great grandmother
    • View Profile
James WATTS born 1770 Suffolk
« on: Tuesday 31 January 06 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody help me find out information on JAMES WATTS. Parents were James and Elizabeth. He was christened in St. James, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk in 1770.
I am looking for any information at all... whether he survived, married or even changed his name. Whether he was still alive in 1841 and on the census. Thanks in advance!!
Watts, Hardy, Richards, West, Bennett, Robson,Nelmes.Suffolk, Devon, Yorkshire and London

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: James WATTS born 1770 Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find a James WATTS aged about 70 on the Suffolk 1841 index.  The closest are a James aged 60 in Ipswich St Margaret and a James aged 64 in Nayland.

If you think either might be likely, let me know and I will transcribe the full entry for you.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynnesl0t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 06 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rick,
i am looking for Arthur Watts who died aged 70 in Bury St Edmunds. It was suggested that he may have changed his name.That is why we were looking at James Watts to see if they were indeed one in the same person!!!He was born about the same time as Arthur. Probably a long shot though!!!
Watts, Hardy, Richards, West, Bennett, Robson,Nelmes.Suffolk, Devon, Yorkshire and London

Offline lynnesl0t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 06 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Rick, Have you got any suggestions as to where I might be able to find information on these two???

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 06 16:09 GMT (UK) »
The 41 is the first census of any real use to the family historian, and I cannot find James or Arthur here. :(

You have Arthur's death, so I gather from this that this record has not given you any more to go on.

All I can really suggest is that you go through the parish records, firstly for Bury St Edmunds, as this is where James was born and Arthur was buried.  It might also be worth looking at the SFHS online records on the FFHS website.  This is a pay site, but it is very reasonable.

http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/

Sadly WATTS was not an uncommon name in Suffolk, so it might be that if you cannot find a baptism/marriage for Arthur, then you may be stonewalled for a while.

I did find these marriages on Boyds.

1828 - WATTS Arthur to BROWN Mary Ann at  GLEMSFORD   
1823 - WATTS Arthur to FULCHER Sarah at BURY ST EDMUNDS ST JAMES

Though if Arthur was born around 1770, these would seem a bit late?

Offline lynnesl0t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 December 06 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rick,
Just been re reading my posts, and looking at the last message you sent me, I see that you have commented on the fact that it was quite late for a marriage then.
Sarah Fulcher was his sister in law. He married her after Elizabeth Fulcher (the Mother of george and Henry )died.
Even so he didnt have those children until he was 45, which seems quite old to me!!!!
Meanwhile , Arthur Watts who was born in DEvon (Paignton) in 1768, married an Elizabeth Bond c1790 and had two children , Elizabeth and Mary....and then disappeared! Could this be Arthur? my Arthur?
What do you think? I can find no trace of a death for him. 8) :) :)
Kind regards, Lynne

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne

This could be the burial of Bury St Edmunds Arthur.

Arthur WATTS,  buried 3 Mar 1839, Aged 70, St James, Bury St Edmunds