Author Topic: Anyone know anything about huish Champflower Somerest  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Kam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Anyone know anything about huish Champflower Somerest
« on: Wednesday 22 September 04 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

does anyone know anything about huish champflower and why its that so many names i look up point to that village.

I don't as yet have any connections to the vilage, all my ancestors so far are from South london.  but the name's i'm searching for Thorn(e), always throw up a Husih Champflower  I've noticed a few other names on these boards too that point there.

I've been there a few years ago (stayed in a cottage) its very small, but its seems odd that its mentioned alot for such a small place

Wondered if anyone knew a bit more a bout the history of the village and why so many names are there.

Karl
Researching Family Surnames :Thorn / Thorne , thats all i have so far

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about huish Champflower Somerest
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Kam,

It is also the name of a parish,  as well as the Villiage.  It is important not to confuse the two,  a Parish may cover more than one villiage.

From GENUKI:

"HUISH CHAMPFLOWER, a parish in the hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Wiveliscombe, its post town, and 10 N. of Wellington. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Tone. On Brandon hills, and partly in King's Brompton, are the extensive mines of the Ebbw Vale Iron Company. The soil consists of loam and clay, with slate in the hills. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of 2254 6s. 9d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £288. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a large stone structure, with a square tower containing five bells. There is a school for both' sexes. Sir W. C. Trevelyan is lord of the manor and chief landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson

This page has trancripts of the Parish registers:
http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/H_m_w/Huish_Champ/Index.html

Kazza.

Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Kam,

It must have something going for it, I looked up Huish Champflower in Google and got 10,300 hits. (for "huish champflower somerset" I got 350 !)

half of the sites were offering:
"Search the site to find thousands of great singles in Huish Champflower, Somerset who would like to meet you. ... "

Just how small was that parish ??

off at a tangent,

Kazza:

One of the hits was this one: Rick Hole Genealogy: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~holerj/paf/pafg87.htm
I went to the surname list, clicked on Hole and got this list:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~holerj/paf/index3.htm#Hole
and then I clicked on Vicary/Vickeryand got this list: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~holerj/paf/index3.htm#Vicary

Anybody you know ?

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for thinking of me.   ;D

Funny thing is when I found the Transcripts page above,  I noticed some Holes in the parish.  I had a look,   and so far no connection.  :(  Not on the Vickery side on Rick's tree either.  I have been to Rick's page before,  no convergence yet though.

Thanks anyway,

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 14:40 BST (UK) »
Its name means Chanflurs's Manor  ::)

Its just down the road from Clatworthy Reservoir ....
Names: Badman, Courtney, Davis, Fitton Greenslade,  Haytor, Hyde, Martin, Turner, Williams, Yates.
Places: Ainsworth, Pilkington ( Lancs) Henstridge (Somerset )

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 14:48 BST (UK) »
"Extra, Extra, read all about it ..."

http://www.ukvillages.co.uk/ukvillages.nsf/villages/England/Huish+Champflower-Somerset

Well, not really, I clicked on "local attractions" but didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

Maybe the answer lies in the GENUKI description.
... the extensive mines of the Ebbw Vale Iron Company ...

150 -200 years ago, the mines probably needed workers, so there would have been a bigger population, but, nowadays: no mines, no people ??
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 15:13 BST (UK) »
population in 1965 was 228
......................1993 was 223
.......................2000 was 240

Goes back to 1066 : http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=18589&strquery= .

:'( unfortunatley a lot of parish records seemed to have been destroyed when a storm took off the roof.....maybe the great storm of 1703
Names: Badman, Courtney, Davis, Fitton Greenslade,  Haytor, Hyde, Martin, Turner, Williams, Yates.
Places: Ainsworth, Pilkington ( Lancs) Henstridge (Somerset )